Is it possible to switch between VR and desktop without restarting the game?

I'm having a mixed time with VR. I'm finding I love the immersion but...

1. I'm getting a bit motion sick (taking ginger and trying to do a bit a day to acclimatise)
2. I'm finding some parts of the game actually aren't full time activities.. I didn't realise quite how much I alt-tab when trading/exploring. I do enjoy those things, but I can't just sit there.. I need my browser window.

So, I've been wondering if there's actually a way to switch between VR and desktop without quitting the game completely? Is that a thing?

not without still being impacted by motion head tracking and the added perf hit of vr.

are you playing in horizon? Odyssey vr is going to be more of an issue due to lower framerates. that causes fatigue and sickness much faster than when playing at proper rates like horizons allows.

i usually only do vr when doing combat anymore. everything else is monitor.

not without still being impacted by motion head tracking and the added perf hit of vr.

are you playing in horizon? Odyssey vr is going to be more of an issue due to lower framerates. that causes fatigue and sickness much faster than when playing at proper rates like horizons allows.

i usually only do vr when doing combat anymore. everything else is monitor.
Hmm ok, cheers.

I am playing Odyssey. Since that last update, my frame rates have been ok in space to be honest, although I'm playing on "VR medium". It's only on planets where it becomes really shocking. I actually love the way the planets look on Odyssey though so I'm reluctant to go back to horizons. I'm also a bit scared to since I'm not 100% confident all my Odyssey stuff will be ok..

the bugs (mostly) in switching between are resolved. keymappings are separate files... though you have to reselect 'custom' sometimes.

not saying you can't do vr in odyssey in many places 'good enough' if you're not already struggling in horizons... just that it is much more likely you will be experiencing <90 fps in odyssey and that will lead to vr fatigue and sickness faster than it should.

once the novelty wears off, the best place to use vr is in dogfighting and that can be done in horizons much more effectively.

I'd say canyon flying is good too, but that's probably not much fun still in odyssey, and horizons planets may not look as nice... so toss up there.

but as you have discovered, much of the game relies on multi-monitor access. vr becomes a targeted mode you choose for a specific activity because of this.

You can just go to the graphics settings and expand 3D and set it of off or none or whatever it is instead of the HMD setting that you use, when you click apply you'll be flatscreen in the ED window on your desktop.

I don't do this very often as I only bother to play ED in VR, but for example selling exploration data (and ironically cleaning up settings) I prefer to do flatscreen. I've not noticed any performance hits, but as I say I only do this rarely, and selling exploration data is not exactly graphically intensive. :)

As to nausea, I guess I have been lucky and not suffered from it much, very occasionally when driving an SRV, but the key (I gather) is to stop at the first feeling of nausea, let yourself recover then go back in, build up gradually basically. Again, not something that has affected me much, the only times I've found it truly unpleasant were the Guardian sites and the old BIO sites in Horizons, and on those I just pushed through it despite what I just wrote above. :)

the bugs (mostly) in switching between are resolved. keymappings are separate files... though you have to reselect 'custom' sometimes.

not saying you can't do vr in odyssey in many places 'good enough' if you're not already struggling in horizons... just that it is much more likely you will be experiencing <90 fps in odyssey and that will lead to vr fatigue and sickness faster than it should.

once the novelty wears off, the best place to use vr is in dogfighting and that can be done in horizons much more effectively.

I'd say canyon flying is good too, but that's probably not much fun still in odyssey, and horizons planets may not look as nice... so toss up there.

but as you have discovered, much of the game relies on multi-monitor access. vr becomes a targeted mode you choose for a specific activity because of this.
Ooooh yah, canyon flying :)
Source: https://youtu.be/10QRYNqu7So

But was slower than I'd prefer ;-)

Top Bottom