Is it too late to catch up to the expedition?

Hello everyone, I'm only about a month in on my Elite Dangerous career and I wanted to know if there is anyway I could potentially catch up to the DW2 fleet. I've heard that people can run to Sag A in 6-8 hours if they are focused and just stay on the course, and if there is anyway I could catch up because I would like to get in on this historic event before it is through. I have about 100 million credits to my name and could get a guardian FSD booster and Increased range within hours as well if I work hard enough.

Thanks for your time!

CMDR Michael Crusher

Absolutely not too late! The fleet won't be moving for a little while - not sure exactly when, but you've got at least a week and a bit, so there's ample time to get there.

Once the fleet does move on, and gets onto the far side of the galaxy, it'll start getting harder to join in from scratch. But now is a good time. Welcome aboard!

I think the next WP announcement (and by inference, the next departure) isn't until March 17th, so that's about two and a half weeks for you to catch up with the fleet.

Its not too late if you bring a ship with a good jump range. The expedition is only 20,000ly away i think and thats not far these day. its just a few hours. Tip; don't go in open play though, stick to Mobius private group or solo play. Too many player gank squads at waypoints in open who'll send you back to the bubble :D

Last edited:
For ship choice should I go off the tier guide on one of the main posts when fitting up a ship. I'm going to need FSD Injection materials as well right?

I think the biggest jump is 34 LY - so either have an FSD that can do more than that or yes you will need FSD injection stuff.

As for ship choice - just get an Asp Explorer - it is probably the best explorer when you consider cost v benefits.

I am actually a part of one of the Mobius private groups already. Is there a specific DW2 group I need to join though? And a discord/TS3 server? I'm going to assume this is all in the main post as well.

Sorry for the noobish questions,

CMDR Michael Crusher

I am actually a part of one of the Mobius private groups already. Is there a specific DW2 group I need to join though? And a discord/TS3 server? I'm going to assume this is all in the main post as well.

Sorry for the noobish questions,

CMDR Michael Crusher

If you haven't seen it, the official site for the expedition has pointers to all the information you could possibly need:

https://www.distantworlds2.space/info-index

For ship choice should I go off the tier guide on one of the main posts when fitting up a ship. I'm going to need FSD Injection materials as well right?

The outfitting guide thread is definitely good info. But as you'll see from a glance through the "What ship are you taking?" thread, practically any ship can get the job done. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about collecting injection materials now, plenty of time for that on the way and you won't particularly need them until we get out towards the galactic rim. On the other hand, definitely unlock the Guardian FSDB if you can, since that gives a passive benefit on every single jump.

If you are able to engineer FSD and/or add Guardian booster so your jump range is 35ly, you won't need injection material. Over 50ly jump and you won't even need to think about plotting across the Abyss. (not sure where the cut off is, above 40 I imagine).

Fly your favourite ship as you'll be stuck in it for quite some time. For me, the Krait Phantom is a natural successor to the Asp and many parts are interchangeable, meaning if you already engineered an Asp, you can put those bits in the phantom to save time and effort. High 60s jump range is easily achieved whilst still leaving slots for the mining CG.
Store some parts for shipping out just in case. Eg refinery, collector limpet controller. Since you're in catch up mode, maybe go with an AFM for now and use the neutron boosts to fast track.... Swap that for refinery/collector when you arrive.
Don't neutron jump without an AFMU though... The neutron damages the FSD and when it hits 79% it'll start failing. That means hitting the jump several times before successfully charging and whilst no dangerous in any way, it soon gets tiresome and certainly slows your progress a *lot*. Repairing with the AFM brings it back to normal.

Top Bottom