Powerplay Faction: Edmund Mahon Is Mahon Alliance considered as the "good" faction

For those new to Power Play and trying to decide the power which most closely aligns with their personal life, I have found this way of thinking useful for myself:

I think of star systems as countries and stations as states/territories/provinces within those countries.
As Alliance followers, systems are encouraged to have whatever political views they want and whatever government they want. Just as Geo-political areas or economic interests within a country compete
to have their interests favored, stations and their owners also compete with each other.
Stations are the economic engines of the system and as such the Alliance "favors" stations run by the economic engine of the real world- corporations, again allowing these corporations
to have any political affiliation they chose. The alliance promotes its interests through trade agreements with owner corporations rather than forcing a political view on station owners.

In these respects, it is my opinion of the major powers, the Alliance with our spokes person Mahon, more closely reflects the values and real-world dynamic of most western democracies.
It is also my opinion that the alliance's relatively few players compared to the others, is a reflection of how poorly the Alliance stance and actions are described within the game and official Power Play
documentation which may be purposely worded to be understood when read between the lines. As the alliance is better understood, it becomes apparent that while there is no righteous power or faction (just as there are none in the real world- and the game is DESIGNED to resist peace and stability)
if you live in a Western style democracy and have learned to appreciate the benefits you enjoy, you can also flavor your game playing to cooperate with your world view should you so choose.

-Pv-

Last edited:
Since both feds and Imps are kinda evil, Imps admit it and Feds are corrupted. Is Alliance considered the "good guys"?

Or is that only left to some independent factions.

Reason for asking is that I would like to support a "good" faction.
That does not focus on killing missions of civilians and traders,

Every faction has you doing "evil" missions. That says more about humanity and Frontier's assumptions about it than it does about any particular faction's core ideals. Besides, neither the Feds nor the Imperials are particularly evil. They just both fail to live up to the ideals of their individual societies. And this is because idealism will never quite mesh with the realities of human nature. That is why they are called "ideals" and not "norms".

Democracies prefering an Election over Civil War

Afaik this is not true. Elections will be held when two factions of the same gov type have a conflict to solve. For example, in LHS 2637 there are two dictatorships who are challenging each other in an election right now - while a democratic faction is about to fight a corporate faction in a war. True story. :D

Back to topic. I'm not sure about the origin of this statement, but some day in the past I read something about the process of joining the Alliance. It was stated that the only precondition for new members is to accept a human rights treaty. Still a lot of space for interpretation, but in my eyes the Alliance is what comes the closest to something you could call 'good guys'.

Top Bottom