Ships Is there a point to having more than one ship?

Do you think there's a point in having more than one (primary) ship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Collecting and flying different ships is the main objective for me in the game. Still haven't owned the Orca and the T-9. Will get the Orca tonight.

I like restricting myself to one ship as it makes choices with outfitting more interesting. If I had more than one ship, I could just fit out the best and be done with it (e.g. retrofitting a Vulture for trading, or a T9 for combat (!) )

I like to think this selection is serious and is real -immersion.

No matter when or how in our history, if we even get there, I would think that a space ship is a big deal. Kind of like we see from Star Wars -Falcon Millennium-, Star Trek -Enterprise- and Firefly -Serenity.

I like to think that I worked hard to finally be a Pilot for the Pilots Federation and have a licensed vessel that I now take care of. In a universe like Elite, where we own nothing: not a plot of land, not a cabin in the woods, or a piece of a station that we can call home, the only solution left is: I live in my ship, just like in the movies and vessels mentioned above.

This approach makes me LOVE my ship but also get specialized in it. Make the most out of it. Is not a car, is not a shoe: is MY space ship in the year 3,301. This is where I "live", "work", "travel". My hard earned credits are/were spent in making it better and the ultimate machine that it is today, that can combat, interdict, explore, haul, mine, and trade at the blink of an eye, without even changing modules.

Don't get me wrong, I had a go in the Vulture and will most likely try the Diamondback, and I appreciate the differences and is a nice, exciting feeling when I do so. But let me tell you something: after a few days flying those, coming back to my Asp really feels like coming home for me.

Don't get me wrong, I had a go in the Vulture and will most likely try the Diamondback, and I appreciate the differences and is a nice, exciting feeling when I do so. But let me tell you something: after a few days flying those, coming back to my Asp really feels like coming home for me.

that means that you found your ship, lucky you, me ? i'm waiting for each new ships, disappointed every time, maybe the Diamondback ?

All i need is an ASP size ship with more speed/weapons (400 and 1 large), less cargo/jump range (25Ly would be perfect), i want a deep space mining ship capable of kick ass from time to time, will i ever get it ? :x

that means that you found your ship, lucky you, me ? i'm waiting for each new ships, disappointed every time, maybe the Diamondback ?

All i need is an ASP size ship with more speed/weapons (400 and 1 large), less cargo/jump range (25Ly would be perfect), i want a deep space mining ship capable of kick ass from time to time, will i ever get it ? :x

My Asp kicks ass with a burst laser, 2 beams and then 2 medium multi cannons...a 5A shield and 5A FSD that allows it to jump up to 29.88 ly. I have a minig laser and a 6 bins refinery. And is, well, Asp sized.. XD

you gotta make do with what we got now, I guess....but you need to play more with the outfitting...a 400 speed ship is not a possibility now...is like me sighting for a ship of 80ly jump range...is not in the game, but even worse, dont even know if there will ever be one...

I had to vote on the last one but i disagree with not having a "primary ship". My primary ship is my Trade Conda. I have multiple attack ships because they play different roles. PvE, PvP, Support PvP, Tank PvP. You don't always get to choose what ships your wingmates have so its nice to have the ship that fills the gap the group is missing in PvP situations.

words of wisdom i guess, if the diamond back is not what i want then i will rebuy the ASP and tune it the way i want

For me is the only one in the yard that really can multitask. I'm also looking at the Diamondback specs, which would be the big decision making factor. I was hoping it was mid sized like you want, but the more I see the renderings, the more I'm convinced this thing looks slightly larger than a Vulture, so probably it will be just Small.

Hope I am wrong! Besides mid sized, I also wanted it to have a 40ly range and many internal compartments for scans, and AFMU and shield cells and stuff...sighs...again, I have a hunch this thing will be small.

Still worth to try though, once I come back to civilization.

For me is the only one in the yard that really can multitask. I'm also looking at the Diamondback specs, which would be the big decision making factor. I was hoping it was mid sized like you want, but the more I see the renderings, the more I'm convinced this thing looks slightly larger than a Vulture, so probably it will be just Small.

Hope I am wrong! Besides mid sized, I also wanted it to have a 40ly range and many internal compartments for scans, and AFMU and shield cells and stuff...sighs...again, I have a hunch this thing will be small.

Still worth to try though, once I come back to civilization.

I would put money on it being a medium ship.

I have stripped-out Sidewinders as bookmarks all over inhabited space, because Frontier does not believe in bookmarking systems or having waypoints stored in the galaxy map. :(

Other than that, I have a backup ship, one ship for exploring, and another for cheap combat. I keep them at a port, where I'm allied with the faction there. For bulk local trade, I have MooTilda, the Type 6.

I'm a packrat by nature. I keep junk around in the garage, just in case I ever need it.

As such, other than temporary 'rental' sidewinders/haulers for getting from one system to another, I have kept every ship I've owned from the Cobra upwards. Adder (quick and dirty explorer build), T6, Asp, two Clippers (One was on sale! It looked so shiny!), Vulture, Dropship, T7, and Python.

Every ship has its own quirks; they fly differently, and they perform differently for different roles. Sometimes, I may be in the mood for doing something different, for a change in pace/scenery of some sort, so I swap to a different one.

Just my own personality. I'm not a min-maxer by nature; like to explore different and sometimes unorthodox, or at least uncommon, ways of playing, and this menagerie lets me do so.

I have stripped-out Sidewinders as bookmarks all over inhabited space, because Frontier does not believe in bookmarking systems or having waypoints stored in the galaxy map. :(

Bookmark ships, they are handy. :) But that's pricey for a little piece of cardboard!

Last edited:
Top Bottom