Issue with my first mission

I just started playing and accepted my first mission. I get to the system that I was directed to, look up on the internet how to find a black box (scan nav beacon), I do that and it directs me to my objective. The problem is that it points the objective to be in the center of the sun. How am I suppose to do this, just ignore/drop the mission...what is this man. I just started playing and now I can't even accomplish the very first thing I'm going to try to do.

Edit : I don't know where to post this, I just joined. I guess it's that I am looking for a suggestion about what to do? Or is this section for suggestions about gameplay improvements?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 145037.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 145037.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Scan the nav beacon in real space (or FSS the system in SC - takes longer) to find your mission signal source (it will show when you go back into SC) N.B. select (target) the actual beacon (the white rectangle on your radar), not the yellow circle name marker for the beacon location. The system is in blue 'cos at the moment all you know is that this is the mission system.

P.S. Welcome to the game, you will find lots to ask questions about, don't hesitate to ask. There is a friendly sub-forum for "newcomers" https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-newcomers-guides-tutorials/

PPS - I forgot that I did a video of a BB mission, have a peek here if it helps (time stamp is arriving at the nav beacon)

Source: https://youtu.be/XGAxcQ7T6oA?t=179

Last edited:
yeah...what is FSS..what is SC...what is N.B....like I said, I am new and don't know these terms

Also, thank you for replying, It seems like there are steps I missed. I just don't know them.

yeah...what is FSS..what is SC...what is N.B....like I said, I am new and don't know these terms

Also, thank you for replying, It seems like there are steps I missed. I just don't know them.

Yeah, sorry, I edited my reply so you prolly missed the video link.

FSS that is Full Spectrum System scan, SC is supercruise NB means nota bene (mark well) - the video shows you what to do to find your target, hope it helps.

I'm just goin to abandon this...this is stupid. Why would a mission be in the center of a star.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 155334.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 155334.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 21
Also, I have no access to any type of scanner that I used in the training module. I can target things like the nav beacon but I don't have a scanner to scan it...or I'm just dumb. I dont know. Got a little frustrated with this tbh. 'Pologies for venting.

The nav beacon scan is automatic once you target it in normal space (not supercruise). You just have to wait for it to complete. All ships have this built in.

If you're going to give up after less than an hour every time, you're going to have a bad time in ED. It takes time to figure out pretty much everything, even with help.

I just started playing and accepted my first mission. I get to the system that I was directed to, look up on the internet how to find a black box (scan nav beacon), I do that and it directs me to my objective. The problem is that it points the objective to be in the center of the sun. How am I suppose to do this, just ignore/drop the mission...what is this man. I just started playing and now I can't even accomplish the very first thing I'm going to try to do.

Edit : I don't know where to post this, I just joined. I guess it's that I am looking for a suggestion about what to do? Or is this section for suggestions about gameplay improvements?
This forum is really for game improvement suggestions but hopefully a friendly moderator might move the thread over to the newcomers forum.

As I have done relatively few missions over the years I can’t give you any specific help with this, however if you are being targeted at the star in the system then that is not going to be where the blackbox is so either you have missed something which is easy enough at any time in this game even for a veteran if they are out of practice, or there is a bug in the mission always unfortunately a possibility.

The game is said to have a learning curve like an overhanging cliff and going through your control bindings which I recommend as a way of learning your controls will tend to bear that out.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Also, I have no access to any type of scanner that I used in the training module. I can target things like the nav beacon but I don't have a scanner to scan it...or I'm just dumb. I dont know. Got a little frustrated with this tbh. 'Pologies for venting.
Vent away, as long as it's done in a civilised way :)

Elite has quite a steep learning curve. Do not give up though, you'll get there. We've all suffered the same pain.

The answer to your question is this: your ship nav system does not know the exact location of the black box yet. It has highlighted the object (star in this case) in blue, as the mission target is somewhere around that object, in the orbit.

Make sure you have Signal Sources ticked in the navigation panel filter list and keep flying around the star until the exact location pops up. Your nav system will pick it up eventually.

Alternatively, drop onto the nav beacon, in the left panel change tab to Contacts and target he nav beacon there. Then get closer and your ship will automatically scan the beacon (the actual physical navigation beacon). This will reveal the exact location of the mission target (along with many other things in the system).

The navigation target is just that - a marker for your nav system. You cannot scan a nav marker. You need to scan the physical thing from the Contacts.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the galaxy :)

a friendly moderator might move the thread over to the newcomers forum.
At your service :)

How about for your navigation panel you go into Set Filters and only enable Signal Sources

And if you still don't find it like how Fnord showed then also enable stars, planets, and landable planets, I bet you find it then.

Ok, well you fly your ship into the star to get the black box while having a good time

Surely this manouver would vaporize your ship and everything in it; and then there would be TWO black boxes inside the middle of the star.

Keep up the gooed work CMDR

Ok, well you fly your ship into the star to get the black box while having a good time
Try it :)

No, you can't fly your ship into a star - that's one of the imposed limits in ED. If you approach the star (or any other non-landable celestial body) in supercruise, you will be ripped from SC when you enter that body's exclusion zone. Which is far enough out that you'll run out of fuel before actually being able to land (or impact) when trying to approach in regular sub-light flight.

If the above doesn't make any sense to you:
ED has, while in your spaceship, three modes of locomotion:
  • sub-light flight. The speed is limited, depending on your ship build, to something between ~170 and ~900 meters/second (m/s) relative to your local frame of reference ("Instance")
  • supercruise. Once you're out of mass lock of any sufficiently large body, you can toggle into Supercruise (SC). Here, your speed is limited (independent of your ship type or build) between 30 km/s and 2001 c. The new overdrive FSD (frame shift drive) adds a few wrinkles to that, at the expense of a lot of fuel. Ah... fuel. Keep an eye on your fuel gauge. Your ship uses fuel. Always, while you're logged into the game. A little bit in standby or sub-light flight, a bit more in supercruise, a hefty chunk for a hyperjump. If you run out of fuel, your ship shuts down. Then you get an additional grace period until the life support system runs down (5...25 minutes, depending on the life support system) and your ship self destructs. If that (i.e. running out of fuel) ever happens to you, DON'T PANIC! Instead, call the Fuel Rats - if they can save you, they probably will.
  • hyperjump. In order to get from one system to another, you'll have to trigger a hyperjump. The range of your jump depends on your ship, build and engineering. Your starter Sidewinder has a maximum range of a little over 7 ly (depending on fuel load and cargo - the ship's current mass is another factor that influences jump range), a top-of-the-line exploration ship can reach over 70 ly per jump.

In order to scan a navigation beacon, you have to drop out of supercruise into regular space at the nav beacon, come to a stop relative to the physical nav beacon (satellite), point your ship at the satellite, target that satellite and wait for the scan (check the left bottom display in your forward HUD) to complete.

Top Bottom