January Catch Up

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hayo Zookeepers!

We're here with the January 2020 Catch Up! We hope you have had a wonderful start to the year! Have you been playing the Arctic Park? What have your thoughts been on it? Let us know down below!

To kick off this Catch Up, we recently released Update 1.1.3. This update was focused on fixing some critical problems some players were having, such as the inability to load a Franchise Mode zoo or large zoos from Steam Workshop, plus more. We'd like to take this time to again thank you all for posting feedback, submitting reports on the Issue Tracker and helping us to improve everyone's Planet Zoo experience. We are aware this update may not have fixed bugs you may be experiencing - fret not, we are working on a broader update that we are aiming to release in the next few weeks. We will share more on that as soon as possible!

PZ_launch_screenshots_batch_2_37_600x400.jpg

Thanks for joining us for our streams throughout January. We were pleased to be joined by special guest James Turner, who you may know from YouTube and Twitch. During the Workshop Wonderland stream with James, we looked at the honourable mentions, the runners up and the winner of the Winter Sanctuary competition! If you missed the livestream, don't worry! We posted all of our favourites on the forums - check the list out here.

We would also like to highlight the super interesting Planet Zoo audio deep dive stream with Senior Programmer Jamie Stuart and Senior Audio Designer Pablo Canas, who showed us how they, and the rest of the Planet Zoo Audio Team, worked to create the wonderfully immersive audio in-game. Did you catch the stream live? What did you think? If not, you can watch the stream back here.

In January, we also made some changes to the way the Community Challenges will run. If you're still unaware, we will now be running our Community Challenges once every two weeks, instead of once a week. For clarification, this means we'll be running a challenge from Tuesday - Sunday as normal during the first week, but we will not be running a challenge the second week. This is to allow our community some downtime between challenges. Not only that, we will be improving our challenge variety, by putting a modifier on some of the challenges. If you'd like to learn more about these changes, check out the forum post here!

During one of our January livestreams, Bo was joined by Programmer Megan Brown who revealed a Planet Zoo cheat code! In-game, you are allowed to rename your animals - rename one to MeggieB and they will fluff up quite significantly! "After coming into work one day to find all our animals had been made super fluffy by a test the Render Team were running, I knew I had to make this an adorable permanent feature somehow! I asked if it would be possible, and after a small amount of code work (including writing a "SetPlushiness" function) I has plushie animals running around at the touch of a few buttons. The cheat is named after me in true Planet fashion, as all our cheats from Planet Coaster are named after developers who worked on the game. I'm so glad the community loves this cheat as much as I do, and I hope they keep posting adorable screenshots!" Megan explained. Check out some of the screenshots people have shared:

Megb1.jpg

Shared by u/Kiavu on Reddit.
Megb2.png

Shared by u/Thesladenator97 on Reddit.
megb3.jpg

Shared by Klinn on the forums.

If you don't follow us on social media (you definitely should!), you may have missed our post about which animal personality you have based on your birth month? Are you fabulous like an Indian Peafowl, regal like a West African Lion or loyal like a Timber Wolf? Find out and let us know below this post!

PZ_animal_month_quiz_600x600.png

Now, here's a small round up of all the Zoopedia Facts that we posted on our social channels throughout January:
  • During the winter months, Dall Sheep feed on frozen sedges in the snow and lichen from rocks.
  • Snow Leopards can jump higher and further than any other cat species; reaching heights of 6 metres when jumping and 15 metres when pouncing.
  • Newborn Chinese Pangolins have soft scales. They harden when the infant is three-days-old.
  • Red Ruffed Lemurs have evolved a long, pointed snout and a long tongue for eating nectar from flowers, meaning they play an important role in pollination.
  • Chimpanzees use medicine; when they are sick, they eat certain types of leaves to settles their upset stomach and kill parasitic worms.
  • Nyalas, unlike many Antelope species, are extremely reliant on water and need to drink daily. They always live near a water source!
  • Zebra herds move to follow the rain and may migrate up to 1000 miles to remain close to food and water.
PZ_launch_screenshots_batch_2_47_600x400.jpg
You can follow us on Twitter, FaceBook and Instagram here to keep up with all things Planet Zoo. We truly appreciate all of the wonderful support you have given to Planet Zoo so far - the game has almost been out for three months now! How time flies!

I think we can all agree the Floofy Animals cheat was the moment our typical January took a really strange turn... 🙃🤣

Personality animal-wise, I know nothing about flamingos so I could be here all night trying to figure out how I'm supposed to relate...

...leg length I guess?! :unsure::oops:

I love the animals of the arctic pack, especially the reindeers. I also love the new building pieces and honestly get up every morning and hope this will be the day another dlc is announced, simply because I love this game too much. :)

I'm still not too happy with the Polar bears in game, as their requirements fall so much out of scale, as described in the thread about it.

I'm really happy with the infinite loading bug fix. I was not affected by it, as I don't play franchise but am happy for the other players and really hope the mood shifts back to a more happy one again. Can't wait what Februrary might bringt for us with Planet Zoo.

Another month, another step forward for the game. Thank you to the whole team for firstly creating this and then continuing the support and expansion to the game. I suspect the next 24 months will very exciting for Planet Zoo. 🥳🥳🥳

Another month, another step forward for the game. Thank you to the whole team for firstly creating this and then continuing the support and expansion to the game. I suspect the next 24 months will very exciting for Planet Zoo. 🥳🥳🥳
YES! Wouldn't mind if it will be for longer than that, though. Let this game live as long as a Sim title :D

Top Bottom