Landing Lights

All the “toast racks” on the stations have the red and green navigation lights. It would be really neat if the lights on our ships (every ship has a bunch of white lights to illuminate decals and such) would turn red on left side and green on right side after the docking request is granted.

I think it would be a minimal change that would be really cool.

This does come up every so often, and there is general agreement that it would look really cool. It used to happen in “Frontier”, so it would be nice to think it could happen in ED too. But it hasn’t to date, sadly.

One Nav Light Thread

Last edited:
it would also be nice if those numbers could face the pilot at all time, or be projected flat on the landing area to be visible from further, especially for the planet landing places.

big numbers projected on the ground, somewhat like the runway numbers that are drawn at the start of each runway at an airport

Lestat

Banned
What been written about the red-green lights at the station. It more for people who have colour blind issues. Now landing I think an Option to disable if they added. Depending on the updated mission we might have in the future.

What been written about the red-green lights at the station. It more for people who have colour blind issues. Now landing I think an Option to disable if they added. Depending on the updated mission we might have in the future.
Sorry, your comment doesn't make sense.
  1. Red and green navigation lights have been used on sea-faring ships since the 1800's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light. It's got nothing to do with colour blindness.
  2. Why would you want an option to disable navigation lights if they were added?
  3. What does this have to do with possible changes to missions in future?

Lestat

Banned
Sorry, your comment doesn't make sense.
  1. Red and green navigation lights have been used on sea-faring ships since the 1800's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light. It's got nothing to do with colour blindness.
  2. Why would you want an option to disable navigation lights if they were added?
  3. What does this have to do with possible changes to missions in future?
Thing is I going on what Elite Dangerous Devs wrote in 2015. "GG Frontier Developments: Make flashing lights to help colourblind people to navigate. Please feel free to ask the Devs" The real reason for station lights.

Thing is I going on what Elite Dangerous Devs wrote in 2015. "GG Frontier Developments: Make flashing lights to help colourblind people to navigate. Please feel free to ask the Devs" The real reason for station lights.
Your quote is from a Reddit comment which doesn't make any sense by itself, because the Reddit thread topic is a dead link to the old Frontier Forum.

It's impossible to determine the context of the discussion from the Reddit thread alone - do you have a working link to the original topic on the Frontier Forum?

Also:
  1. Why would you want an option to disable navigation lights if they were added?
  2. What does this have to do with possible changes to missions in future?

Lestat

Banned
Your quote is from a Reddit comment which doesn't make any sense by itself, because the Reddit thread topic is a dead link to the old Frontier Forum.

It's impossible to determine the context of the discussion from the Reddit thread alone - do you have a working link to the original topic on the Frontier Forum?
Yes, the Orignal was posted that had the Devs telling people why we had the lights at a station. I did read that topic around that time because they had a massive hoopla at the time what the light meant. It when the Devs. I think Mike Evens posted the real reason why they had the Blue Green for colourblind people. So there no real reason to debate on an old subject.

1. Why would you want an option to disable navigation lights if they were added?
  2. What does this have to do with possible changes to missions in future?
Let say they add Asmopheric Planetary Landing new type SRV and if they add let say PvPers ground mission. I want to sneak in and I don't want everyone and their Grandma knowing I am here. I just thinking ahead.

Yes, the Orignal was posted that had the Devs telling people why we had the lights at a station. I did read that topic around that time because they had a massive hoopla at the time what the light meant. It when the Devs. I think Mike Evens posted the real reason why they had the Blue Green for colourblind people. So there no real reason to debate on an old subject.
It looks like you've misunderstood what the OP is asking for.

The OP is simply asking for Red and Green (not Blue and Green) navigation lights to appear on our ships when docking permission is granted and/or landing gear is deployed.

His request has absolutely nothing to do with colour blindness.

Let say they add Asmopheric Planetary Landing new type SRV and if they add let say PvPers ground mission. I want to sneak in and I don't want everyone and their Grandma knowing I am here. I just thinking ahead.
So you are "planning ahead" for something that has not been announced and may never exist? Riiight...

Also, you can't turn off lights on some ships anyway (e.g. Imperial ships, Python) and you can't disable the light caused by engine thrusters, so what difference would this request make anyway? Just land far enough away that your ship can't be seen.

Top Bottom