Horizons Landing = suicide?

So the relative weight of your ship would have doubled that would cause some issues for the thrusters i imagine, just curious what rating were your thrusters?, after reading this thread i,m more excited than ever to start doing landings.

I'm pretty sure I said they were A rank before. edit: and on a cobra mk iii

Last edited:
If I can't roll or pitch far enough to lay eyes on it, how am I supposed to line up with the right pad? We don't get the navaid in the radar until we're almost right on top of it just about kissing the dirt. (Hey Frontier! Change that...what kind of space traffic controller worth his salt is going to let a bunch of loony space pirates land on his nice pristine pad without navaids guiding him in??? I never did like how difficult it is to see the floating number in some stations...!)

If it hasn't been mentioned before, in order to align with the landing pad without seeing it, the "navigational compass" (don't recall the exact name) shall point directly to your assigned landing pad as soon as you targeted the outpost and obtained landing clearance. I'm talking about the circular display just left to the scanner, with the blue dot (full when your target is in front, hollow when it's behind).

When you're flying level, and the blue dot is at the bottom of the circle, you're right above the landing pad, if that can help positioning your ship without seeing the landing pad.

In Place of using the thrusters, use the main engines, once you touch the pad / planet use the pitch to push the nose of the ship down.

Some of the HUD elements you talk about I did not see...

Thank you for the info!
The Vertical Velocity indicator is a series of small bars next to the Altitude (on the middle right side of the HUD display). In level flight the bars are clear... as you move up or down vertically you'll see them change accordingly. Best seen (full range "Down") when coasting in after drop from orbital cruise. The change in color toward the bottom is the "RED" Zone you want to stay out of during normal flight.
-
You are Welcome!
-
-BTW... Take off requires constant Upward Thrust for at least 10-15 Seconds (engines have to restart...go through 50% and start moving you) (sometimes a little "wiggle' helps too ;) )

Last edited:
You can land on any (landable) planet with any ship. Your bottom thrusters (lateral thrust "up") and main engines (thrust "forward") will always be cheat-enhanced by the game to beat gravity by 5m/s^2.

See here.

Last edited:
Also, check your pips. Your planet was, with 2g, pretty darn dangerous, and some of my ships can only properly descend/ascend when having 3 or 4 pips in engines. In worse conditions (and note that stuffing your ship full of cargo does not make it any easier!) I could only get away from the surface by boosting!

The inability to take off again sounds like the bug where sometimes you return to your landed ship and there is no thrust - you have to quit and come back in. Just a thought....

Top Bottom