Landing/Take off

Inside a station, I find it very convenient that you are turned around before leaving the station, it makes good sense. But on small stations or on planetary bases for that matter, it shouldn't matter if you point in one direction or the other during landing or take off. So for small stations and planetary bases could this be changed, so you can land from both directions and that you are only been turned around if you entering the hanger and pointing in the wrong direction.

Although Fdev probably won't change this I agree that it seems a significant extra cost to the station and waste of station interior space and inefficient for general shipping traffic. I'm surprised the ship even enters the smaller stations.

I would think it would be far more economical to have most landing pads just basic pads with a retractable docking bridge similar to current day airports. And for the large stations with atmosphere just simple rows of basic docking pads like a parking lot with direct access to large warehousing. This would allow for more docked ships and less "Docking Request Denied" messages. Stations would still have a few specialized internal garages for ship maintenance & repair that may require some credits for use and require special docking request, which might often be denied because they are usually in use. All of the trade missions, data couriering, selling cartographic data, refueling, restocking ammo etc. could be with a basic landing pad. Repairs might need a maintenance garage.

For the big commercial rotating space stations it would be better to design with a mail slot at both ends of the rotating station. Entrance and exit. Simplify the docking process (no turning around), speed up traffic, less safety risk, and in the event one mail slot is out of order (damage or regular maintenance) at least another door is available.

I'm sure this has all been talked about hundreds of times on this forum.

For the big commercial rotating space stations it would be better to design with a mail slot at both ends of the rotating station. Entrance and exit. Simplify the docking process (no turning around), speed up traffic, less safety risk, and in the event one mail slot is out of order (damage or regular maintenance) at least another door is available.

I'm sure this has all been talked about hundreds of times on this forum.

That wouldn't work for Orbis Stations because you have the fusion reactor and drive module (if fitted) at the other end although it would work for the others, but they probably didn't want to make two station interior models for each class of station so we have what we have.

Top Bottom