Engineers Laser engineering, what do I choose?

I've been building a PvE Krait Phantom ( https://s.orbis.zone/30gg ) but I'm struggling to work out what engineering to slap onto my class 2 hardpoints.

I can't decide between...

Rapid Fire Pulse
Overcharged Pulse
Rapid Fire Burst
Overcharged Burst

I used to be a big user of rapid fire pulse lasers, but since the new engineering I've been branching out, trying to work out what gives the biggest DPS and the most consistent damage.

So far I'm thinking rapid fire bursts...

Last edited:
For lasers my go to mod is Long range. The damage boost from simply removing fall off is huge!

For general PvE work I slap a couple of long range grade 2 mediums with Phasing exp on my ships and they work a treat for messing with shields while also putting some damage on your sub target.

I did consider Long Range, but I've always used them more with beams than pulse or burst. I can't imagine I'd be doing too much medium to long range fighting, and would more be short to medium. I'm not sure that long range would be the best option for that?

Are long range bursts as viable as beams?

I did consider Long Range, but I've always used them more with beams than pulse or burst. I can't imagine I'd be doing too much medium to long range fighting, and would more be short to medium. I'm not sure that long range would be the best option for that?

Are long range bursts as viable as beams?

Unless you are planning for 90%+ of your engagements to be <600m then LR will give the most DPs increase of all the mods 1km+

Try focused burst lasers. Focused improves the range and penetration, which means those medium hardpoints perform well above their weight. Focused is an improvement in DPS at medium range (1000-1500) and against bigger ships.

Efficient beams with thermal vent. You can manage your temp and use long range plasmas to heart content.
Pulses or bursts, all work pretty well. The least useable is the overcharged imo, since it increase your heat and power demands for not much of a gain based on the detriments.
I usually go efficient with laser weapons so I can put a PP with low emission and fire for longer time.

Try focused burst lasers. Focused improves the range and penetration, which means those medium hardpoints perform well above their weight. Focused is an improvement in DPS at medium range (1000-1500) and against bigger ships.
Doesn't focused really gimp your ROF? I remember using it in the old engineering system and hating so so much

So far I'm thinking rapid fire bursts...

if you are ok with jitter, it's quite annoying for me.

i can't really make a minimaxed recomendation, you say you want dps, but instead remind you that dps is not really that relevant in elite pve. several other mods can be better (as in more fun or convenient) depending on situation than a mere reduction of a few seconds in serially dispatching targets. also, pulse shines more with hull and modules, while burst is better for eating up shields. what's it going to be? there is no pve meta, it's not needed :)

Efficient beams with thermal vent. You can manage your temp and use long range plasmas to heart content.

you don't need efficient for thermal vent, actually, the hotter your weapon the more you dissipate. just saying, efficient is still a nice mod.

Last edited:
if you are ok with jitter, it's quite annoying for me.

i can't really make a minimaxed recomendation, you say you want dps, but instead remind you that dps is not really that relevant in elite pve. several other mods can be better (as in more fun or convenient) depending on situation than a mere reduction of a few seconds in serially dispatching targets. also, pulse shines more with hull and modules, while burst is better for eating up shields. what's it going to be? there is no pve meta, it's not needed :)

you don't need efficient for thermal vent, actually, the hotter your weapon the more you dissipate. just saying, efficient is still a nice mod.

Yea. But, with a cool build and thermal vent on the beams, you can get your temp very, very low. And firing the plasmas without going -beep beep warning- and heat damage is a plus to me. Also I don't use plasmas with efficient, but long range to improve the shot speed and secure the hit. But anyway, is just my opinion.

Oh I'm not worried about minmaxing, otherwise I'd go for long range beams or something.
I like bursts because they're fun,. They're satisfying to fire, and make a good option for small targets while. I use two large cannons to wipe wipe out the bigger targets 😊

I think I'll give the focused a try actually, as it's. It a mod I've used before so why not now? Get some use out of the new! 😁

Top Bottom