Let's imagine playing ED without inara, eddb, or other 3rd party sites.

Hey guys, I want to build an Asp Explorer to go exploring but the station I'm currently at doesn't sell it.

Where can I go to buy 1?

I'm not elite yet btw, so I can't go to Jameson Memorial.

I started to collate a spreadsheet for the stations I've docked at, with the services they offer, what faction runs them and others that are present, what ships they sell as well as the modules, but it got too time consuming. Imagine doing that for all of the commodity market too...
I'm in Metcalf Ring in Iah Bulu right now and there's one for sale here.

;)

High-population, High Tech systems sound like the sort of places that would sell more types of ships.
Thanks, after visiting a few stations (took me almost an hour btw) I found one which sells it but in the outfitting it doesn't sell a 5A FSD, only up to 5B!

Do I have to jump around again to look for a 5A FSD? :(

Thanks, after visiting a few stations (took me almost an hour btw) I found one which sells it but in the outfitting it doesn't sell a 5A FSD, only up to 5B!

Do I have to jump around again to look for a 5A FSD? :(
I'm afraid so. Unless the developers improve things our only hope is that som nice people will develop an extensive network of third party tools which allow us to actuallt play the game, rather than waste hours trying to find anything at all...

Imagine doing that for all of the commodity market too
Commodity market I think is fine - you get enough information from the in-game trade tools to figure out profitable trades, even if you're not going to pick up on all the super-optimal stuff immediately. EDDB etc. is generally more convenient than actual thinking, but if they didn't have market data people would get by, especially after the 3.4 interface additions.

Outfitting, however, is definitely a complete mess. Elite / FE2 / FFE every system had a "tech level" which was an advertised property of the system and determined what outfitting it had available in a straightforward and largely documented fashion. In Elite Dangerous, just picking a random station's FSD selection:
- 2A-E / 3A-E / 4A-B / 5B / 6A-C / 7D-E
there's no obvious logic to it at all [1]. If you want a specific module, there's not a lot you can generally do to find it (in the bubble) that improves your odds beyond "try High-Tech/Industrial systems". It's only with the new Odyssey interface that it's even become possible to see sold modules you can't immediately fit to your current ship.

That said, adding a "search for this module at nearby stations" feature to the Outfitting interface would only be a sticking plaster over the real problem: there's way too many modules and most of them are pretty useless. It really needs a complete reform:
1) Scrap refittable Life Support and Sensor modules entirely, just make them ship builtins like the FSS now is and increase base ship mass by the equivalent of the lightest possible engineered module. They make way too little difference to devote an entire core module slot to.
2) Scrap all module grades except A and D (existing modules get promoted free of charge, "Sturdy"-type blueprints are buffed to allow reasonable replication of B-grade kit)
3) Advertise "Tech Level" like economy / security / government are advertised on the galaxy map ; make it linear (with minor modifications for superpower-exclusives and things like AX equipment) so that it's obvious what you're getting at each level (and sure, let BGS states temporarily affect that level and show on the map as doing so)

[1] The same station has 7A-C and 7E power distributors, but not 7D ... and also has 7A-B and 7D-E thrusters, but not 7C.

Brestla, I Sola Prospect
Sure, but you'd never stumble on that accidentally without extreme luck.

Does this class as a 3rd party site? Because with no other tools, there would be lots of information here about where to buy stuff (like top 10 home stations). A bit (okay, a lot) less information but CMDRS would know of a few places where to look.

Steve 07.

Hey guys, I want to build an Asp Explorer to go exploring but the station I'm currently at doesn't sell it.

Where can I go to buy 1?

Alioth. You can get one there with a 15% discount.
If you can't afford an Asp, you can get a DBX from Wolf 406 at a 20% discount.

Scrap all module grades except A and D (existing modules get promoted free of charge, "Sturdy"-type blueprints are buffed to allow reasonable replication of B-grade kit)
Wouldn't have expected that from you. Just because other grades are lesser used doesn't mean they're useless. That suggestion would take all the fun out of shipbuilding. And yes, even C grades have their use, if you want to squeeze maximum performance from a given power budget.
And if you removed Coriolis, shipbuilding would become even more time consuming, so I at least would definitely miss those grades.

And you wouldn't say that life support grades wouldn't make a difference if you ever sat in a CZ in a Vulture that just had its canopy blown open - or in an explorer that has to make its way to a station on life support synthesis 🙂

Last edited:
Imagine playing without 3rd party sites... No, thanks. I did play without them before I realized they exist. No more. IF the game was actually designed that way, what are now 3rd party tools should be integrated, but on an individual level - to help you keep track on systems you already visited. Anything else means building a huge personal database in 3rd party tools (spreadsheets of any kind) individually.

Why? Just... WHY?

Where can I go to buy 1?

So basically, instead of using an already established automated system to ask others about purchase locations, you are asking in the forums, which won't get you a result immediately and takes longer for you and the answering people.

I think the thing they are trying to do is show everyone how hard it is to do the simplest of tasks, currently there should be a search system in ED. Heck even now we can "ask Google" surely they should be Galactic by 3200 for anything you need in the bubble?

We should have a "find nearest x" button for things like commodities, ships and components

2) Scrap all module grades except A and D (existing modules get promoted free of charge,

Well, i never used sensors E-rated, unless i had to. Same for 4H Srv hangar.
But when i had to, i had the option - my rather extreme ground attack dbx

... Just because other grades are lesser used doesn't mean they're useless. That suggestion would take all the fun out of shipbuilding. And yes, even C grades have their use, if you want to squeeze maximum performance from a given power budget.

Precisely this 👆

I used to hardly use 3rd party tools at all beyond pmf responsibilities.
I don't really remember having problems finding things as there were maybe 4 high techs not that far away. I would usually scout the station before risking the new build though.
Bit like shopping...

Back
Top Bottom