LIGHTNING

Do I understand correctly that lightning does thermal damage?

This I ask on the basis of two facts that I know:
1. The GHRP has acid and thermal protection, and I read somewhere that they help against lightning.
2. Lightning is very bad at damaging the hull and the shield well. That's right, since everyone builds ships in thickness the shield has negative resistance to thermal and the hull even the simplest has always had resistance to thermal.

Last edited:
Assuming you're talking about the yellow lightening special attack of the interceptors, not sure exactly what type of damage it is, but from my experience:
  • it does substantial damage to shields, if you have them, but not so much to hull;
  • it makes modules malfunction, doing also some direct damage to them; the guardian module reinforcements prevent the malfunction effect and mitigate some damage; I'm pretty sure there's no corrosive damage involved here.

Now, I don't use shields for fighting interceptors, and also I've only killed a bunch of cyclops' and a couple of basilisks, but I can tell you one thing: the only times I've registered corrosive damage was from their death clouds. And no, I'm not some great evasive pilot. Quite the opposite.

I know this doesn't fully clarify your questions, but since people aren't exactly crowding up to answer...

It just shuts down everything...no caustic, negligible at best Hull damage, but how in the hell you get that close? :ROFLMAO: Improve your tactics.

Assuming you're talking about the yellow lightening special attack of the interceptors, not sure exactly what type of damage it is, but from my experience:
  • it does substantial damage to shields, if you have them, but not so much to hull;
  • it makes modules malfunction, doing also some direct damage to them; the guardian module reinforcements prevent the malfunction effect and mitigate some damage; I'm pretty sure there's no corrosive damage involved here.

Now, I don't use shields for fighting interceptors, and also I've only killed a bunch of cyclops' and a couple of basilisks, but I can tell you one thing: the only times I've registered corrosive damage was from their death clouds. And no, I'm not some great evasive pilot. Quite the opposite.

I know this doesn't fully clarify your questions, but since people aren't exactly crowding up to answer...
Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes you understand correctly. I think the lightning actually does thermal damage, and if the shield is increased in thermoresist, it will also be effective against lightning.

The fact that they do not respond it is understandable, very many fly without a shield and at a fair distance from the interceptor and do not want to be interested in the other mechanics.

very many fly without a shield and at a fair distance from the interceptor and do not want to be interested in the other mechanics.
Guess why....
and if the shield is increased in thermoresist, it will also be effective against lightning.

It will not..."Causes random module reboot, additionally limits your speed, disables boost and scrambles your HUD. It has a range of 800m."

Last edited:
Guess why....

It will not..."Causes random module reboot, additionally limits your speed, disables boost and scrambles your HUD. It has a range of 800m."
Why do heavy ships with thick shields use charge cells in battles with Targoids?
It even happens that they use a reboot of the ship ...

Why do heavy ships with thick shields use charge cells in battles with Targoids?
Reboot of ships it's a usual practice to restore some modules,your problem seems to be "lack of basic knowledge of things" you copypaste bits and things from here and there,in every post you make, then build your own mostly wrong theories.I asked you in another thread "how many" Interceptors you have killed and of what types,no answer yet.

1 hydra - too long and a lot of resources to synthesize.
5-6 meduza
More cyclops
0 vasilisk.

I fix the modules and repair the hull with drones.

P.S. I am interested in this topic in terms of destroying interceptors only on large ships.
Destroying interceptors on maneuvering ships without a shield is not very interesting to me.

Last edited:

I can see two reasons for using cell banks:
1. Your systems capacitor can get fully drained and won't fill up until your shield is fully charged, even with 4 pips assigned. Bi-weave shields are more prone to putting players in this situation. If your sys cap is empty, you won't be able to fire heatsinks. So cell banks fill up your shield faster, allowing your capacitor to recharge.
2. Depending on how fast your shield recharges and how much of it you've lost, waiting for it to recharge may put you over the interceptor's enraging time limit. Cell banks basically put you back into the fight faster.

Regarding the reboot question, it may be that repairing takes too long - once again bringing the enraging timer into play, or simply you need to repair critical systems faster. I've had, for example, two occasions where my thrusters were badly damaged and I only had one more heart to go. It was much faster to put myself into a glide and perform a reboot, since I only had to do one more drive-by and snipe that last out of the interceptor's chest.

One last note, regarding the idea of wearing shields or not: I'm not a fan of shieldless hull tanks, but when it comes to fighting interceptors, I found it was simply easier and faster without shields.

I can see two reasons for using cell banks:
1. Your systems capacitor can get fully drained and won't fill up until your shield is fully charged, even with 4 pips assigned. Bi-weave shields are more prone to putting players in this situation. If your sys cap is empty, you won't be able to fire heatsinks. So cell banks fill up your shield faster, allowing your capacitor to recharge.
2. Depending on how fast your shield recharges and how much of it you've lost, waiting for it to recharge may put you over the interceptor's enraging time limit. Cell banks basically put you back into the fight faster.

Regarding the reboot question, it may be that repairing takes too long - once again bringing the enraging timer into play, or simply you need to repair critical systems faster. I've had, for example, two occasions where my thrusters were badly damaged and I only had one more heart to go. It was much faster to put myself into a glide and perform a reboot, since I only had to do one more drive-by and snipe that last out of the interceptor's chest.

One last note, regarding the idea of wearing shields or not: I'm not a fan of shieldless hull tanks, but when it comes to fighting interceptors, I found it was simply easier and faster without shields.
Yes, I understand what you are writing about. The whole point of this thread for me is that on thick ships and slow ships like Corvettes and T10s you may need to increase thermal resistance because it's hard for them to avoid a lightning strike.

Thargoid Lightning deals Absolute damage.
This is not information from the developers and on the same site says that mainly lightning damages the shield and the hull almost no. If this is absolute damage, why is it so?
Are there people who have taken a lightning strike with high thermal resistance?

This is not information from the developers
FD do not provide any Thargoid stat related information whatsoever. If you want info from developers - you are playing the wrong game.

People, respsonsible for information on that site, have spend hundreds and in some cases more than thousand hours testing everything and gathering information.

If this is absolute damage, why is it so?
Because lightning has 1 AP (Armour Piercing) Rating.

Are there people who have taken a lightning strike with high thermal resistance?

You didn't check information from the link, i've provided, don't you ?

1613307878811.png

Last edited:
FD do not provide any Thargoid stat related information whatsoever. If you want info from developers - you are playing the wrong game.

People, respsonsible for information on that site, have spend hundreds and in some cases more than thousand hours testing everything and gathering information.

Because lightning has 1 AP (Armour Piercing) Rating.

You didn't check information from the link, i've provided, don't you ?

Thank you for the detailed response.
Yes, I thought you were pointing just to this site.
When I read the lightning information I only saw :

Although it didn't say anything about Armour Piercing,
But I will study the issue further.
By the way, how do you know that the lightning equals 1 and not 2?

P.S. You begin to understand little by little why the developers of the T10 positioned it to fight the Targoids.

Last edited:
I want to understand one more question.
Rereading once again an article about large ships from the site antikseno, I saw a recommendation: if you were hit by lightning, keep 4 pips in the system.
What does this have to do if the lightning does absolute damage?

I want to understand one more question.
Rereading once again an article about large ships from the site antikseno, I saw a recommendation: if you were hit by lightning, keep 4 pips in the system.
What does this have to do if the lightning does absolute damage?

It still hits shields first.
It's just that the resistances don't come into play then, 4 pips so SYS means stronger shields anyway.

It still hits shields first.
It's just that the resistances don't come into play then, 4 pips so SYS means stronger shields anyway.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand.
4 pips affects only resistances and charging.
There are no resistances, charging under damage is also not.
I don't get it.

Anti-Xeno Initiative Wiki:
Ensure you have 4 pips to SYS (now and whenever you expect to be caught in a lightning attack).

Last edited:
I don't get it.

Pips effects shield strength. You don't increase resistances you increase the effective size of your shield. Most of the posts talk about the effect as if they were an increase in resistance, but that's not actually how the game handles it.

I don't get it.

Resistances do nothing against absolute damage. 4 pips to SYS increases your effective absolute shield strength.

Top Bottom