Ships Lightweight hull engineering doesn't seem that bad.

Messing about in Coriolis and I only just realised that lightweight hull mod gives a +15% resistance all round compared to heavy duty which gives only +5%.

That kinda dents the advantage in hull pts which Heavy Duty gives and since I much prefer lighter ships, its a trip back to Kuk for me....

Lightweight gives more resistance and less weight, but reduces the armour you get from your bulkhead.
Heavy duty increases your resistances less and adds weight, but increases the raw armour from your bulkhead a lot.

Ship armour = bulkhead armour * hull boost + HRP armour * hull reinforcement
Armour damage is reduced depending on the according resistance.

So it depends on the ship and what you intend to do with it.
Expecting weapons/events dealing absolute damage? Heavy duty is better.
Not enough resistance, but your bulkhead doesn't provide a lot of armor anyway? Lightweight bulkhead could help you propably more.
Packing a lot of heavy duty HRPs on your combat ship? Then you propably already got all the res you need.

Have fun playing around in coriolis.

If using a stock Lightweight Alloy hull, its weight is not affected by either blueprint, and Heavy Duty is clearly superior in effective values.

If running Reactive hull, making a shield focused build that will run once shields are down, and if Lightweight gives me a noticeable benefit in handling/speed, I will sometimes use it instead of HD. It definitely has a place in my book, although not as prolific as HD in my fleet.

I use the lightweight mod on stock alloys for my CMDR's Eagle and Viper because they get so little hull integrity from bulkheads (relative to the pile of HD HRPs I put in them) and the resistance improvement is appreciable.

Most ships with more favorable base hull integrity and more slots for resistance from HRPs tend to benifit more from the heavy duty mod, as do ships that rely on shields and only have to worry about phasing (absolute) damage to hull.

Effective values vs damage, not absolute armor.

As I said, it depends on the ship ("native" hull integrity from alloys), the rest of your build, and what you want to do with it.
If you just plan on smashing into planets with your exploring ship, the choice for heavy duty lightweight alloys is an easy one.

This is not true, check this two otherwise stock eagles with 1 Heavy Duty HRP, and lightweight + angled plating vs. heavy duty deep plating:
https://s.orbis.zone/c2J1
https://s.orbis.zone/c2J3
I was referring to the ship hull (core internal), not HRPs. I guess Selene Jean would call it armor.

I use the lightweight mod on stock alloys for my CMDR's Eagle and Viper because they get so little hull integrity from bulkheads (relative to the pile of HD HRPs I put in them) and the resistance improvement is appreciable.

I don't think I've ever considered that, I'll have to revisit a couple of ships, thanks.

Messing about in Coriolis and I only just realised that lightweight hull mod gives a +15% resistance all round compared to heavy duty which gives only +5%.

That kinda dents the advantage in hull pts which Heavy Duty gives and since I much prefer lighter ships, its a trip back to Kuk for me....

I used lightweight equipment before and sacrificed 10 ly in my Anaconda to explore space. I used to stop between the bubble and the colonia or visit Explorer's Anchorage and have more fun than stripping the ship too much.

But the day FC showed up, my builds unfortunately changed.

I was referring to the ship hull (core internal), not HRPs. I guess Selene Jean would call it armor.
So was I... the naming conventions around HRPs and the "alloys", hull boost and hull reinforcement, integrity=armor and armor hardness, are not the most clear ones. The two examples I posted are identical, except for engineering on the Lightweight Alloys Core Module.

So was I... the naming conventions around HRPs and the "alloys", hull boost and hull reinforcement, integrity=armor and armor hardness, are not the most clear ones. The two examples I posted are identical, except for engineering on the Lightweight Alloys Core Module.

Sorry, apparently I'm not totally awake yet, I completely looked that over, and yes you are correct. I guess that's what Morbad was saying as well. I've definitely completely overlooked the option of light weight mod on light weight alloys in small ships, thanks for the lesson!

I think the main argument here should be how do you fight AND the kind of ship you use; A ship like the Vette or Conda even the Cutter - ships who excel by shields value - can actually behave better with a lightweight armor.
I found the "reinforced alloys" a very nice compromise for my second Vette - not only is A LOT cheaper than military grade but once upgraded to "heavy duty" you gain decent stats - the ship can boost better is a bit more agile and sure you get a bit more jump range - that extra weight you save worth a lot - and sure enough , you save some good credits.
Since I cannot remember the last time I lost shields I found one do not need very much the ultra expensive higher grade armor.

On the other hand for a T10 a hull tank ship - the military grade armor is a smart investment since your shields are worthless... and the hull tanking is your best friend.

Top Bottom