PvP Long Range Sensors

I still think nightvision should be treated as an active scanner that gives your position away.
I agree, increasing heat signature of ship using NV could have some utility. I think that programmers wasn't thinking about combat usefulness of NV, it was supposed to be fun stuff to navigate planets, IIRC they also admit that silent running wasn't supposed to be used in combat either, so further nerfs were needed.

I think the only weapon to really benefit from long range are canons with long range on them? Canons can shoot to 9km. Never tried it though.

Negative, the only sensible mod for cannons is overcharge, they alread have no falloff erefore the most suitible thing to do with them is to increase the damage, you need to be able to hit your target though. There are a few neiche uses for long range cannons but they are few and far between. They also have garbage tracking.

Long range however is best on rails, by a country mile too. Focused is the equivilent for lasers but increases the armour penetration stat thus potentially increasing thier damage to leels higher than that of overcharge, depending on the targets hull.

I mean in context of the the 8A long range sensors. As the 8A can scan up to 13km away. So If you wanted to target something at 9km you'd use long range canons. Otherwise you'd see them, but you'd get the "OUT OF RANGE" text for your weapon.

The ship builder says canons are 4km as well. So I'm assuming theyre ineffective at 6--8-10-12km?

I mean in context of the the 8A long range sensors. As the 8A can scan up to 13km away. So If you wanted to target something at 9km you'd use long range canons. Otherwise you'd see them, but you'd get the "OUT OF RANGE" text for your weapon.

The ship builder says canons are 4km as well. So I'm assuming theyre ineffective at 6--8-10-12km?

The "out of range" warning on the weapon has nothing to do with sensors, just the weapon range. Since you can't select a target (unless it's a station, nav point, or in your wing) that's out of range of sensor lock in the first place you don't get that warning if you are firing at something out range without a target lock, the projectile just stops after a certain distance.

I am so confused right now. Can I chuck a scenario here?

Sorry, hypothetically speaking. I have a canon. It has 4k range. I have a target lock on FDL at 5km range. My weapons say "OUT OF RANGE". If I shoot at the FDL, can I still hit it?

Sorry, hypothetically speaking. I have a canon. It has 4k range. I have a target lock on FDL at 5km range. My weapons say "OUT OF RANGE". If I shoot at the FDL, can I still hit it?

No, not unless the FDL is closing the gap, because the projectile only goes 4km.

However, if you had a long range huge cannon with a 9km range, and sensors that could only resolve your target at 5km, you could hit the target at ~9km, if you could do so without the lead indicator.

Top Bottom