Lost control bindings

Title. I posted this in dangerous discussion yesterday and got zero responses. Hopefully my fellow VR pilots can help.

A little background info:

i use a hotas, pedals and voice attack in VR but on my monitor i use an XB1 Elite controller.

So.....i set painstakingly set up all of my custom control bindings for my hotas, pedals and voice attack. Everything works fine.

I switch to a controller. I choose a standard gamepad profile from the drop down menu and then proceed to customize it. At this point the name of the profile becomes "custom" and seems to overwright the "custom" hotas profile i set up.

Is it possible to have more than 1 custom control setup? I would like 1 profile for hotas and 1 for the xb1 controller. But....it seems one overwrights the other. And it is a huge pain to re do everyrhing whenever i want to change control inputs or switch between my monitor and VR.

Also...i cant just use the 2 column because voice attack needs to be bound to the keyboard commands in the second column.

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before but it's super frustrating and I would appreciate any help

Yes it's possible, quite easily.
Just find the folder with bindings and rename the custom one.

It's also just an xml, with a name field, and whatever you type there is what it's called in the game drop down.

I could offer more specifics, but I just reset my computer and it's pulling in updates...

Back up again.

Your bindings, at least mine are stored in the appdata folder for ED.
Specifically:
Code:
%appdata%\..\local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
Just copy that into a folder path, or a cmd run and it should open the folder.
Should be able to at least be able to rename and back them up from there.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did that yesterday

But the behaviour remains the same. Either im doing something wrong or im misunderstanding what is supposed to be happening.

Are you saying that when i change the name of the file that the changed name would be visible in the drop down box in game? I changed it from custom.1.8.binds to customvr.1.8.binds. i even added a copy of the original name. But only one custom shows un the drown box and it behaves the same way.

Or....are you saying name my binding files seperately and move them in and out of the folder when i change controler inputs?

The problem is having any backup files in that directory. It seems ED uses not the file name but the 2nd or 3rd line in a file to determine what file to use. I have had this happen to me several times before I came up with a solution. Create a backup folder in that folder and move all backup and old files to that. Only keep whatever files that are current in that bindings directory and all your issues will be solved.

This used to happen to me when I moved my hotas to a different USB. I drove me crazy for while and even caused me a rebuy. Have not had any issues since I have cleaned up the bindings directory.\

Caliber_az

Just had the same problem: I logged on, I got dropped in keyboard and mouse controls.
I went into options, and it didn't show a custom profile anymore.
In which directory are bindings hiding these days? The above mentioned directory and some other places I googled, don't exist in my current install or are somewhere relative that I couldn't find.
I did find "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ControlSchemes", but it doesn't contain a file called custom or bindings.

I'm a bit sad. Setting up my CH HOTAS took me quite a lot of time. Tonight I just wanted to log on and do some jumps on my exploration trip. Setting bindings is not a thing that helps me relax.

Edit: this seems to be the VR sub. Let me crosspost this somewhere more obvious.

Edit: I found it with some help in another thread. It's in C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom