General / Off-Topic Max Von Sydow died on Sunday

Max Von Sydow died on Sunday (aged 90) - with the amount on sci-fi appearences through his career I do hope F D give him a memorial station - even if it is Ming The Merciless Outpost or planet Mongo.

Last edited:
FCOL .... He was an actor with a varied long career. Not every actor should be "immortalised" in a tiny indie game (yes ED is a tiny indie game, try looking past Cambridge once in a while).
Every time someone famous dies, I do wonder when someone on this forum will suggest (read that as demands) they be "honoured" in the game. Tell me, did Max even know of Elite's existence? If he did, did he ever care? Because this very forum seems rather absent on Max's contribution to the Elite series.

Look, I understand when someone with a connection to space games, gaming in general, or someone notable enough is mourned and those of us still here, want to show our appreciation, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, because in the words of Syndrome "When everyone's super .... no-one will be". Just because someone is famous doesn't mean they deserve anything when they die.
I think he has a pretty deep footprint in sci-fi. And it was just a suggestion, you don't have to start losing your marbles.

At the very least you have been given an opportunity to display your attitudes. I wonder if Ridley Scott, Terry Pratchett, Leonard Nimoy, etc. "..even know of Elite's existence? If he did, did he ever care?".

In reality, my OP was to acknowledge the passing of an actor that I have enjoyed throughout my life. The mention of the possibility of something in the game being named as a "nod" is just an observation on my part, I never posted it as a suggestion in that sub-forum. Personally I would like to visit Mingo City on the planet Mongo and maybe even have an Outpost called Sky City orbiting the planet. However, no doubt some people would rather not have any amusing nods to the past of SciFi and just have dusty names dredged from some generating algorithm or paid for by some egotists.

Last edited:
He has popped up all over the place. From Conan to Star Wars. I liked him in, The Night Visitor.

I would give him a whole system here, with maybe, a few Easter eggs, along the way. I think he would appreciate the idea, of being remembered here.

Max Von Sydow died on Sunday (aged 90) - with the amount on sci-fi appearences through his career I do hope F D give him a memorial station - even if it is Ming The Merciless Outpost or planet Mongo.

There's got to be a system called Mongo as a tribute, come on FDev, do it!

Top Bottom