Maxed out graphics settings

o7 CMDRs.

I'm playing the game with the graphics set to ultra on their default settings - but I'm curious how far I can push my graphics card.

Does anyone know of a guide to what each of the settings means? I've tried googling, but only found this from 2014:

I assume the majority would still be accurate, but a lot of settings have changed.

Also found this from last year:

But it seems focused on optimising for VR.

Any other suggestions?

(BTW I'm not interesting in changing configs etc., just want to get the most out of what's been made available :))

Thanks!

Press ctrl+f in game to display the frame rate counter, now enable 1.5x supersample and restart the game, the image quality will be noticeably improved. Still getting as many frames as your monitor can display? Try 2x.

Now that I've bothered to look closely, I can see that AA and SS are just about the only options left that I can dial up :)

I guess I can probably work out what's going on by trial and error :)

If you are going to change the config I believe Morbad is the one you want to ask. Could be that I remember wrong though...

After a bit of playing around, worked out that I can get away with SMAA & 1.25 Super Sampling to keep ~60fps. I then installed Reshade to make everything look a bit sharper. Very happy now :)

At 1.5x supersample, you need only the basic level of antialiasing, the lowest MSAA. At 2x SS, you don't need AA at all.

I'm not quite sure if supersampling is worth the performance hit:

YHzmJa8.jpg

jIdU1S0.png

9BlUfHr.png

Depends how much performance you've got. I use 1.5x at 1080p and it looks as good as 1440p (my sim rig is separate from my 1440p desktop), it's necessary on the 32inch monitor to get the clarity and I still get 144fps. I run a Vega 64 card which I'm not very happy with on the sim rig. Desktop has 1080gtx.

Well it's an i7-8700 + RTX 2080 I was talking about. With 1.5x supersampling (+SMAA) the FPS is nearly 200, but only in open space and supercruise. In stations and dense rings it's well below 144, and considering that things like orbit lines are still far from perfect (very visibly jagged), I just decided that for me it wasn't worth the extra stress on the GPU and CPU (not even talking about the heat).

Top Bottom