May I ask again... Cross platform between consoles at least?

Don't leave the console front to stagnate whilst we hold out for Odyssey. Activate code cross... Unite the clans!

Also, please cure my avatar... He has suffered from hairloss.

There is now precedent for cross platform games though.

Maybe because you can only cheat on pc they won t do it?

The CMs have told us a few times that crossplay wasn't being considered...

Without being too unkind, why not? It would be great to fly (eventually walk?) with my console friends regardless of platform, that could wind up the fun a few notches!

The CMs have told us a few times that crossplay wasn't being considered...

Without being too unkind, why not? It would be great to fly (eventually walk?) with my console friends regardless of platform, that could wind up the fun a few notches!
It would really help the player count on the console front for sure. PC dominates the numbers, but together the consoles could keep the Universe "alive".

Not likely, much like EDO launching for console. I suspect that the console launch isn't coming until several items are ticked (and it's dubious FDev can tick them):

- Stable on last gen consoles. Pending a surprise announcement they are working on the current gen - which is largely unavailable, still - the biggest challenge is that EDO isn't a stable experience, uniformly, on PCs. Now, that's pretty typical for any game on PC since PCs are as varied as colors of the rainbow. The trouble, is that EDO has so many bugs, glitches, and performance-specific problems...it's highly unlikely they can get EDO stable on platforms older than the game itself.

- Additional content to drive sales. If EDO flopped with its home advantage PC community...it'll be a disaster for consoles. Add in plenty of news coverage (negative) and basic research, few new players will invest in EDO without significant additions. We can see FDev doing this now, with the upcoming mission changes and additions, the new SRV, etc. Is this enough? Probably not given the PC rhetoric currently. This further hurts projections for a console launch, further delaying it.

- Cross play ruled out multiple times, like next gen. Quickly becoming the hot button topic for many mass multiplayer games on console, not embracing cross-play significantly reduces market penetration if the game lacks single-player depth. Which Elite definitely lacks, with its oft-quoted "mile wide, inch deep" design that continues well into Odyssey. The longer cross play stays off the table, even as a potential, the more console players will not see Elite as a worthy investment. Especially with the grind.

- Accomplishing two of three above before Summer of 2022. The biggest challenge is that the longer EDO stays off console, the more of the 'easy buy' market goes away (yours truly included). EDO's easiest tap is existing players, like myself, on console. Except they're bleeding heavily with no meaningful improvements or parity. If FDev doesn't shore up their existing console playerbase, it won't have one to sell EDO to, further harming projections and pushing release. The focus will then be on garnering new players on console, battling uphill against poor reputation, questions of faithful support for the platform, and every other game that's come out since.

Long story short, EDO can totally come to console, but it's increasingly unlikely. Or, at the very least, it will come in a heavily modified and lower-grade format, only further harming chances at long-term retention. FDev really shot itself in the foot on this one, given Elite clearly has a market niche to tap into on consoles if the developers understood how to serve that market effectively while balancing their PC market. To date, given how their other titles on console are performing, it's safe to say they don't know how to do that.

I think the issue has always been Sony, Microsoft and others patch at different speeds. All patches that go onto their platforms need to be approved or some shizz!
That was the case once, but that changed. There are quite a few titles where crossplay between all platforms (Xbox, Playstation, PC) is enabled. So basically it is up to the developer. So no chance with FDev, at least not until they fixed Odyssey and released next gen console versions.

Does italics improve a post? Discuss
Always.

The principal usage of textual modifiers is to convey tone. Used properly, they help show the differences between nuanced meanings...such as sarcasm.

He is misunderstood.
He is misunderstood.

Though a very simple example, we can see the second version (with italics) significantly expands the possible interpretation. Is this sarcasm, correction, or emphasis? Herein lies the duality of textual modifiers: context makes or breaks them. Without context, we cannot determine if...

He is misunderstood because he's a crybaby and can't stand nobody agreeing with him. (Sarcasm)
He is misunderstood because you incorrectly assumed he was talking about canines when he was, in fact, talking about culinary dishes in New York. (Correction)
He is misunderstood because his disability and disfigurement render him socially awkward and difficult to communicate with. (Emphasis)

Italics do improve a post! Yet they require context for you to understand how they are intended, lest mistranslation leads to miscommunication. They are frequently used incorrectly in social spaces, like forums, mostly due to a lack of understanding what they are for. In the specific case of italics, most people use them as a form of emphasis - as if speaking with emphasis - but not understanding that this alone doesn't convey intent.

Oh my God, Becky, look at her butt.

They think italics is like this example, where (if we're familiar with this particular song) the word 'butt' is obviously said with emphasis of tone. Except, even now, how did the speaker intend it? Is she emphasizing...? We know how the speaker in that song intends their emphasis, but now in text form it takes on a wildly varying series of interpretations:

The sexiness of that butt? Or the lewdness?
The size?
The odd proportion?
Is it naked? Or heavily clothed?
Is it a person? Or a baboon?

Context, as always, is key to the proper usage of textual modifiers.

Specific to this question...
Yes, they can improve a post.

Top Bottom