Mining and Reputation

Hi Commanders!

I'm starting to get a grip on the game here, been playing 2-3 weeks now (yes, I know that's not long in a game like this) and just starting to get a feel of things. I've decided to go Federation for Rep as I'd like to go see Earth and I need the Permit for that via Federation rep. Also, I just took up mining. I found that Omicron Capricorni B seems to be in Federation space.

I tried selling my mined mats at Verquerre Point in that system, its a small Federation settlement, but not only do they rip you off on buy price, I don't seem to get any rep (other than at that local post) for the Federation.

Is there anyway to gain Federation rep while mining?

Hi Commanders!

I'm starting to get a grip on the game here, been playing 2-3 weeks now (yes, I know that's not long in a game like this) and just starting to get a feel of things. I've decided to go Federation for Rep as I'd like to go see Earth and I need the Permit for that via Federation rep. Also, I just took up mining. I found that Omicron Capricorni B seems to be in Federation space.

I tried selling my mined mats at Verquerre Point in that system, its a small Federation settlement, but not only do they rip you off on buy price, I don't seem to get any rep (other than at that local post) for the Federation.

short answer: no. For rep you need to do missions. Some of those missions can be mining missions, but the mission has to be given by a Federation aligned faction. Its the completion of the mission that gets you rep, not the mining. Federation Ranks (wiki)

FWIW I did most of my Fed Rep in Ceos running courier missions.

Gaining rep organically is more than a little time consuming. If what you want is the Sol permit, you can probably hit that with an hour or two of stacking courier missions. Getting there on the back of mining missions would take a. long. time. Rep gains don't really scale with the effort it takes to complete a mission. You can help the process along by selecting the reputation focused rewards (rather than Credits, Commodities, or Materials).

You might take a look at what the rank rewards are before you decided where to spend your efforts. I like Gutamaya ships, so Imperial Ranks were a priority for me.

Hi Commanders!

Hello and welcome.

As others noted, running missions for reputation gain is the best way to go about it.

Fortunately, there are many great ED content providers out there. Below is one such YouTube video from Commander Exigeous, who is well known and respected. There are others, such as Down to Earth Astronomy, etc....too many to mention.

Source: https://youtu.be/nz0r6y7SS6s

When I ranked up to get the Federal Corvette, I ran missions between Sothis and Ceos.

Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks all for the responses, I was afraid of that. Was hoping for a 'short-cut' so to speak.

Mersozz, thanks for the video. I just watched it. I think the plan will be to mine my way into some CR, then switch to rep courier missions.

Thanks again all!

Thanks all for the responses, I was afraid of that. Was hoping for a 'short-cut' so to speak.

Mersozz, thanks for the video. I just watched it. I think the plan will be to mine my way into some CR, then switch to rep courier missions.

Thanks again all!
Anytime, bro. Fly safe!

Thanks again all!
Generally the short cut is dumping exploration data, Road to Riches might be worth a look if you need a hand. In basic terms go to Agricultural systems scan the Earth Like World then sell the system data to a system >20ly where you want to build rep.

Generally the short cut is dumping exploration data, Road to Riches might be worth a look if you need a hand. In basic terms go to Agricultural systems scan the Earth Like World then sell the system data to a system >20ly where you want to build rep.
Faction rep is not the same as superpower rank. For the Sol permit, you need superpower (Federal) rank, which you can only gain through missions for factions aligned with that superpower.
Granted, though - you will get better missions with increased faction rep, and you can increase your faction rep easily with carto data.

TUN was where I finished my FED rep. There was a circuit/ring of systems that you hopped around. Easy rep/creds. Took a while. And I liked it better than the CEOS/Sothis two system shuffle.

Not even sure if TUN is a thing any more.

Thanks again all!
There is an engineer in the game that wants you to have mined at least 500 tons before they do business with you, so worth mining at least that long.
If you want a break from mining to get credits, there is an unlimited supply of criminal masterminds at Robigo Mines outpost who want to go on sight seeing tours to Sothis and the Sirius Atmospherics tourist beacon beside a terraformed Earth Like World. Once you have built reputation with all the factions and kit out a shieldless Python (which most consider the best core mining ship in the game) with passenger cabins - mix of first, business and economy but make sure each has no more the 12 passenger capacity - i.e. put first class in biggest internal slots, you can make up to 80 million an hour running the passenger circuit. The heavy Python could really do with at least FSD increased range grade 1 on it to avoid having to switch between eco-route and fastest route on the round trip to make the fuel last. You don't take a fuel scoop. I'd aim for the Engineered FSD V1 available in size 5 only and put that in the Python and also use it in other ships with this sized FSD.
I started Robigo Passenger missions with an ASP X and bought a Python a short while later.
While you are in the Robigo / Sothis area, you are also right next to Ceos. The data courier missions you can stack for Federation reputation and rank run between Ceos and Sothis.
HIP 10331 planet 12 is great for core mining Musgravite and only just over 31ly from Robigo.
So you have options here to mix around between mining, passenger missions and Federation reputation rank grind. It does not take that long to get the Sol access permit, though.

There is an engineer in the game that wants you to have mined at least 500 tons before they do business with you, so worth mining at least that long.
If you want a break from mining to get credits, there is an unlimited supply of criminal masterminds at Robigo Mines outpost who want to go on sight seeing tours to Sothis and the Sirius Atmospherics tourist beacon beside a terraformed Earth Like World. Once you have built reputation with all the factions and kit out a shieldless Python (which most consider the best core mining ship in the game) with passenger cabins - mix of first, business and economy but make sure each has no more the 12 passenger capacity - i.e. put first class in biggest internal slots, you can make up to 80 million an hour running the passenger circuit. The heavy Python could really do with at least FSD increased range grade 1 on it to avoid having to switch between eco-route and fastest route on the round trip to make the fuel last. You don't take a fuel scoop. I'd aim for the Engineered FSD V1 available in size 5 only and put that in the Python and also use it in other ships with this sized FSD.
I started Robigo Passenger missions with an ASP X and bought a Python a short while later.
While you are in the Robigo / Sothis area, you are also right next to Ceos. The data courier missions you can stack for Federation reputation and rank run between Ceos and Sothis.
HIP 10331 planet 12 is great for core mining Musgravite and only just over 31ly from Robigo.
So you have options here to mix around between mining, passenger missions and Federation reputation rank grind. It does not take that long to get the Sol access permit, though.
Selene and Turner though I don't think it counts before you get the invite.

Selene and Turner though I don't think it counts before you get the invite.
For Selene it's, mined at least 500 tons in your career and then she wants 10 units of Painite - because her family background is mining. I had to go and mine 10 units of Painite for her as I don't think it's for sale anywhere - I could be wrong.

No, but another method that avoids multiple stacked data courier missions Sothis - Ceos, is watch out for burning space stations. Fill up your biggest ship with economy only passenger cabins, two heatsink launchers and at least a modest shield, and go rescue refugees from the burning station. In this mission type, all the seats in the economy cabins are pooled into one allotment so you can fill every seat. Watch heat levels and pop heat sinks when needed. Prioritise and Federation offered rescue missions and cash them in for reputation+++ gain. You may also find an imperial faction is the same station to gain reputation and rank with at the same time. This is a pretty quick way to get more reputation that is a change from other activities.
Thargoids have attacked space stations in the bubble in the last day, so there are almost certainly people in burning stations waiting to be rescued.
If you play in open, beware of "gankers" waiting to blow you up while you dock with the rescue ship to drop off the refugees. Make sure you restock your heat sink launchers at the rescue ship.

Quain, There's A LOT of Great info in your posts. I really appreciate the time you invested in them! Thanks, I will probably be taking you up on some of that advise soon. Sounds fun!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom