General Missing decal/patch for independent factions

Reposting here as it's a suggestion...

Could we please have this in game icon as patches for our arms and decals for our ships?

Sincerely,
Players who support independent factions

Attachments

• Independent_insignia.png
    Independent_insignia.png
    25 KB · Views: 210
You can never have too many decals, its already in the game just not on ships. FD get some ARX for them and everyones happy. Win win!

You can never have too many decals, its already in the game just not on ships. FD get some ARX for them and everyones happy. Win win!

Connected to that, we also need the option to add way more decals to a ship and place them freely. :)
And yes, i know what abominations some people will then create. A limitation might still be necessary, but being able to put more decals on my ships would still be nice.

Sincerely,
Players who support independent factions
Yes, but which ones?

If I'm supporting Alliance, I'm using Alliance decal.
If I'm supporting Pirates of Andromeda f.ex, I'm not supporting other Independent factions...

This icon might work to differentiate between Superpowers and independent in UI, but having it as some sort of flag for a player to wave would be... weird.

Yes, but which ones?

If I'm supporting Alliance, I'm using Alliance decal.
If I'm supporting Pirates of Andromeda f.ex, I'm not supporting other Independent factions...

This icon might work to differentiate between Superpowers and independent in UI, but having it as some sort of flag for a player to wave would be... weird.

The faction I support is neither Federation, Empire, or Alliance.

The faction I support is neither Federation, Empire, or Alliance.
My point is that since it's Independent, it probably has and uses it's own insignia (not included in the game and replaced by generic "independent faction" icon). Just like any other Independent faction. It's not part of some kind of Association of Independent Nations to use some shared symbol.

F.ex stations owned by Independent factions don't use this decal. Only if station owning faction is affiliated with Superpower you'll see its symbol.

There is no reason why multiple factions cannot have the same or similar ideology (or policies) with respect to a particular environment or interaction traditions, but be different in many or even most other respect.

If you think this cannot be the case, then I recommend you consider the case of several business execs in the same room from different companies and having different agenda and all disagreeing on everything except one thing - that their environment of wheeling and dealing is the best environment. So they have a common cause - the market. Maybe they would all have different names and logos, but the would still have that one thing in common and thus could, when opposed by some other group (like say government seeking to impose stronger regulations), rally together for that one cause.

Similarly, an Independent is someone who thinks in terms of independence. We might use different faction names (in-game or not), but they all believe in their own independence. If faced with an outside threat, they might seek allies among other's who are independent-minded, even if their particular ideologies (communist, capitalist, confederate, federalist, etc) may be quite different. Allegiances are formed along as many different lines as players can think of.

For my own part, I support any and many independent democracy faction I see in my scope of game play. If we are against a superpower, say, then we might seek allies among other independents, even if they were totalitarian. An independent dictatorship faction is preferable to an imperial patronage in ALD space - because it works against ALD by making her players' control costs increase, thus requiring a greater work load to fortify a control bubble. I'll work with 4F (Fighters for Forlorn Freedom [Imp-Dict]), for example, if I must, to resist ALD's (ALD hates (read: is weak against) dictatorships) control of a control bubble. I'd prefer to work with other democratic (or social factions), but politics makes strange bedfellows sometimes.

When it comes time to oppose the tyranny of a superpower, independent factions may well rally with each other to defend themselves, but also be entirely devoted to their own autonomy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom