Newcomer / Intro Modified Embedded Firmware

So I have just started working on engineering and have unlocked grade 5 4a and 5a fsd. I am now working on getting overcharged 4a multicannons. The last grade requires modified Embedded firmware and i dont really understand how to get it. When looking online everyone seems to be doing these scanning things in their rover and it looks easy yet every place ive been to has immediately started shooting me. Why does noone get attacked in the videos ive seen but i get killed instantly?

Davs hope outpost comes to mind but not sure that drops MEF

you can find other outposts that drop them here, unfortunately the search dosent work properly unless your looking for systems they list

scan\collect form any of these outposts then logout to the main screen, rinse and repeat untill youve got what you need

if your getting killed to quickly then try equipping your ship with Point defence in the top slots and landing your ship closer to the outposts the point defence will shoot down any drones if theyre in range or lure them back. not sure this works the bases turrets though

also remember pips to SYS will boost your shields ;)

the other option to collect MEF would be from missions or visit a materials trader and exchange what youve got for what you need

There are other ways to get them if your not in a hurry, if you are then Dav's hope is the easier option.

Just don't moan about the Grind in 3 days time :)
Pug

So I have just started working on engineering and have unlocked grade 5 4a and 5a fsd. I am now working on getting overcharged 4a multicannons. The last grade requires modified Embedded firmware and i dont really understand how to get it. When looking online everyone seems to be doing these scanning things in their rover and it looks easy yet every place ive been to has immediately started shooting me. Why does noone get attacked in the videos ive seen but i get killed instantly?

MEF are a rather common reward for missions received from allied factions.
So if you settle in a system for a while and you start doing missions to get you allied with all the factions in the system, you will soon get missions that will have mission only G5 materials as reward: Modified Embedded Firmware, Biotech Conductors and Exquisite Focus Crystals

MEF are a rather common reward for missions received from allied factions.
So if you settle in a system for a while and you start doing missions to get you allied with all the factions in the system, you will soon get missions that will have mission only G5 materials as reward: Modified Embedded Firmware, Biotech Conductors and Exquisite Focus Crystals
There's trashcans at Robigo full of this junk.:LOL:

Don't forget material traders. Also, if you can find your way there, Jamesons Crash Site offers another grade 5 encoded mat - its names escapes me at the moment - with which you can trade.

I've never seen a G5 encoded at Davs...

Don't forget material traders. Also, if you can find your way there, Jamesons Crash Site offers another grade 5 encoded mat - its names escapes me at the moment - with which you can trade.

I've never seen a G5 encoded at Davs...
G5 encoded is Jamesons (oops thats the whisky)

Mats at Dav's are manufactured.
Pug

G5 encoded is Jamesons (oops thats the whisky)

Mats at Dav's are manufactured.
Pug
You can scan the beacon at Davs for encoded. It's near that bridge-gate whatsit. Also, there are NPC ships flying over the site which sometimes yield encoded when scanned.

When scanning the beacon, you'll also earn a small amount of cash for data that you can hand in to the Empire and Alliance.

I fill up on MEF (and other stuff) by doing the base-runs scanning the data points at M2M sites. (see http://ed.b101010.ru/aul/ for sites)

Modified Embedded Firmware are common material reward for missions given from factions with which you have high reputation (Friendly +)

They can be obtained also by hacking science and researcher type Megaships, which is my favorite method for data material collecting. This is illegal action but if you know how to do it you won't get fined.

The method:
1. Equip your ship with recon limpet controller, cargo rack and buy limpets.
2. Find science or research megaship. If you can find one in anarchy it would be easier.
3. Drop in the megaship instance and do a data scan of the ship (this is lawful)
4. Search sub-targets for hackable data arrays or terminals.
5. Target the hackable terminal and data scan it (still lawful)
6. Check scanned terminal for sub-targets. It is one or two data ports. If two you need to perform following for both.
7. Sub-target data port and launch recon limpet. If the target have 2 data ports, data collecting happens after hacking both. (illegal action - engage silent running when limpet attaches to port and before hack reaches 100% to avoid getting bounty and be attacked by megaship defense systems. The ship will attack you even in anarchy systems unless it lacks defense systems).
8. Hacking will directly upload data to ship but it also can drop data as materials for scooping from data arrays(those are the one with 2 ports to hack). Check contacts tab and scoop if you see any.

After you finish - reset instance in your favorite way.

Note: there are scenarios triggered around those ships similar to CZ. Do not pick side as this will make you target for half of the ships in the instance. Remaining neutral will give you freedom to mind your own business.

Just trade stuff you don't need for stuff you do need.

Or as has been noted, passenger missions, especially at Robigo often have it as a reward.

I got these from Jamesons Crash Site, ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/jameson-crash-site.549730/ )
Scan the 4 points around the crashed ship to get 4 x 3 G4 or G5 data each time, logout to desktop on PC (completely reboot PS/XBox if on console), repeat the 4 collections until one of the data is full.
Find a Data Material Trader and trade them all down for the particular mats you need.
This is easier, but it gives just one type of g4 and one type of g5 which makes it highly ineffective. Once those are maxed you are forced to go to cross trade at rate 6 for 1 given it is same grade. This means you will get just 16 MEF in one go, while a mission usually reward 3-5 and you can stack them for simultaneous completion.

Top Bottom