More Diverse Animal Color Mutations

Okay I know there's already a handful of posts like this, but I feel like they only scratch the surface. I HIGHLY doubt this is anywhere near the top of Frontier's to-do list, but I would love a much more colorful selection of animal morphs. Several species in the game have plenty of real world mutations that occur in and outside of captivity. Genetically, it's not great, of course, and usually detrimental in the wild, but for a zoo game meant to spotlight animals as individuals, I just feel it would bring a little more personality to the animals, and to the game as well. Probably these won't ever be added, but I can dream darn it. Disclaimer, these are not my images. :)

Firstly, erythrism, which is a reddish pigmentation. We already have one erythristic animal in-game, the giant anteater, but consider the possibilities:
51436.ngsversion.1421961009836.adapt_1900.1.jpg.8d4ad8d97a490522532325703300eb20.jpg
988px-Golden_tiger_1_-_Buffalo_Zoo.jpg
bd3097e8dd943af948c4f7389c7cda48.jpg

Secondly, melanism! Darker pigmentation. We have the jaguar so far, but plenty of other species can have the mutation as well (there's TONS for zebras):
PRC_171349862.jpg
ef63295a963aac71a905fe897e309970.jpg
3hmxyr4f1bh31.png
King-Cheetah-cub-%C2%A9-Brad-Klickr.jpg

Next, vitiligo, which is a lack of pigmentation and different from piebaldism, but it also causes skin problems and hair loss. I don't particularly want to see it in the game for the various health reasons, I don't think it should be an encouraged mutation at all, but here are some examples in both wild and domestic animals for people who may not know about it:
vitiligo-animals-photos-56-58b8151dc6451__700.jpg
vitiligo-animals-photos-58b7e54d0213b__700.jpg
vitiligo-animals-photos-103-58b8163294fd2__700.jpg
vitiligo-hp.jpg

Lastly, piebaldism, which is like vitiligo, but white patches are larger and a lot less splotchy, and probably more familiar to most people:
9e5ebaf7a965d8cf3ad2f0177b0837e8.jpg
b628ebf966837b35d8393b71ebf3f4a3.jpg
aa8f0adb-d59d-4efd-9c1b-36f4bc55018a.jpeg
EhP5CuHVgAAi4I6.jpg

There are, of course, tons and tons of different normal color variations for each of these species here (well maybe not the zebra), but I just think (barring vitiligo) it would be really neat to see a few mutations like these pop up every now and again. Perhaps they could be even more rare than albino/leucistic animals?? The chance of them appearing in the market or being naturally bred could be lowered?? I'm no game dev so, I dunno! I just think it would be cool and add a little more pizazz to the animals.

As an aside, I think it would be cool if there was a blip somewhere in the Zoopedia for every morph you breed with information about the health effects it has in the wild. Having a white lion or pink hippo is cool from a gameplay standpoint, but if the game's focus is animal education and conservation, I feel like this information should be available in the game itself. Something about how a lighter lion has a harder time hunting, or how a pink hippo gets sunburnt more easily. Something along those lines. The info wouldn't be added until the mutation is present in your zoo, so the mystery of which animal has a mutation isn't spoiled, if that makes sense. These could also apply to Exhibit animals (primarily the reptiles) that might have color morphs (and I know Frontier can make some beautiful mutations, I've played 2016 Zoo Tycoon 👀).

Okay this post is long enough so TL;DR I would just really love even more color variation please and thank you. :)

Last edited:
Agreed!

I would even like to see the "simple" color variations be a little more pronounced, and/or vary the markings as well. I have frequently looked at 5-6 animals with supposedly different color variations, and even on highest graphics setting on my 4k screen zoomed all the way in, I can barely tell there's any difference between them. Some of the newer animals are better about that, but it feels like such wasted potential in general to have this feature that I was so excited to hear about, but the reality is so lackluster.

Agreed!

I would even like to see the "simple" color variations be a little more pronounced, and/or vary the markings as well. I have frequently looked at 5-6 animals with supposedly different color variations, and even on highest graphics setting on my 4k screen zoomed all the way in, I can barely tell there's any difference between them. Some of the newer animals are better about that, but it feels like such wasted potential in general to have this feature that I was so excited to hear about, but the reality is so lackluster.
Yeah! I know a lot of people compare PZ with Zoo Tycoon 2 but even ZT2 had much more diverse color variations. It seems like they've only added 2 variations for most animals (not counting a mutation) besides the timber wolf (which STILL don't match the colors listed in their genetics), and even then they're really not all that unique.

Top Bottom