Moved from PC to Xbox.

I brought an Xbox two months ago after having problems with my PC. Long story short, I bought something cheaper because I can't afford a new PC. I'm a massive Elite Dangerous fan and miss the game but I read that the Devs are no longer making content for the game(like oddessy) but will provide critical updates only, so I have questions I am hoping you guys can answer before I buy it on Xbox.

1) Will background ()stories happen?
2) Will community goals still be a thing?
3) Will the Devs ever consider development again on console platforms?
Thanks, cmdrs

The answer to all of those, I think, is a resounding “No”. Most of us have been going in the opposite direction …

After almost a full year of “Odyssey for console is on hold whilst we fix the PC performance issues” the announcement came that no more development (of any kind - not just Odyssey) would happen on consoles.

Then there was the console-to-PC profile copy process to allow people to move their CMDR to PC in order to continue playing and have access to Odyssey. Obviously this involves buying / having a PC capable of running the game.

Finally, most recently, the game was split into “LEGACY” (3.0 engine, Horizons only) and “LIVE” (4.0 engine, Horizons and Odyssey) instances. These are separate copies of the game universe that are now diverging. CGs, in-game story content and future updates are available only for the LIVE instance: case in-point, the current Thargoid invasion scenario which - AFAIK - is LIVE only.

Consoles, being non-Odyssey (3.0 engine) are on the LEGACY universe.

1) No
2) No
3) Unlikely in the extreme

I'm afraid there's no future for ED on consoles. The current version will continue to be supported for some time, but there's no way to tell how long.

Note that most 3rd party apps and websites do NOT support the version of ED that runs on console (now called the "Legacy" version).

You can continue to play, as long as you are happy with all that, until they shut it down, whenever that is.

The future of ED on console is PC emulation Via services like Geforce now services with people upgrading their ISP to use Console web browser on xbox to play PC titles with PC accounts....
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Hey,

I just wanted to thank you for the post, I was trying to understand what was going to happen after seeing the insane prices of gaming hardware on PC, I moved from PC to Xbox series X and thought that Frontier's game would accompany me.
Unfortunately, the betrayal is real and having a look at obsidian ant's videos about the subject it seems I am late to the party.
O7 to the people that stay.

Unfortunately, the betrayal is real
What betrayal?

Had you bothered reading any news at all from FDev you would have seen this coming a long time ago.

This is from March of 2022:
Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development.

So it was known almost a year ago that Elite Dangerous future was effectively over on all consoles. It's not FDev's fault you do things without any research or due diligence on your part. It's not their "betrayal". It's all on you.

What betrayal?

Had you bothered reading any news at all from FDev you would have seen this coming a long time ago.

This is from March of 2022:

So it was known almost a year ago that Elite Dangerous future was effectively over on all consoles. It's not FDev's fault you do things without any research or due diligence on your part. It's not their "betrayal". It's all on you.

Yea, at this point it's really not, not that keeping up with any news at all from FDev really means much when they go from this in July 2021, to nothing until your March 2022 quote.

We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

Top Bottom