Dinosaurs Movie references in animations

Hello, my fellow dinosaurs! :b

I guess I'm not the sole person who thinks that many of the dinosaurs' animations are the same, repetitive and thus over time rather dull. I mean both hunting and fighting animations. There are dinosaurs with unique animations (Acrocanthosaurus, Indom, Indo, Trodoon), but those are sadly exceptions.

Why not change that?

I had the idea of implementing animations that refer back to the movies. Just three examples:

1. Jurassic Park, the T. rex chasing down the Gallimimus. Long time ago that I watched the movie, but why not adapt the game's killing animation to that movie scene?
2. Fallen Kingdom, the T. rex subdueing the Carnotaurus. As much as I dislike that scene due its illogicality and predictability, I must admit it's iconic and just badass. When defeating a Carnotaurus, the T. rex could first pin it down under its foot before finishing it off.
3. Jurassic World, the Indominus killing the Ankylosaurus. This killing animation truly would be unique and thus interesting. And I believe it is definitely within the possibilities of what programmers can do.

Some more animations that wouldn't refer to the movies, but give the game more variety nevertheless:

1. The Triceratops could target a large carnivore's belly instead of the neck when attacking with its horns. (finishing-animation)
2. The Indominus could pick up visitors with its hand instead of using the same animation like all other large carnivores. I mean, it's already picking up the goat that way and I believe humans don't feel much heavier to the Indominus.
3. Large sauropods should finally be able to defend themselves against the Indominus. One well-aimed strike with that tail could smash bones for sure.
4. The Ankylosaurus could first target a large carnivore's leg, thus bringing it to the ground before striking its head. (finishing-animation)
5. The T. rex and other large carnivores like the Giganotosaurus, Indominus, Spinosaurus could headbutt medium sized carnivores (Metria, Cera), thus destabilise them before going for their throat. (finishing-animation)

Remember please, Point 1, 4 and 5 are not meant to replace the current animations, they are meant to expand the already existing amount of animations to add a bit more variety, preventing that the same animations get played over and over again.

What do you think about my ideas? Are there more movie scenes that could the game's animations refer to? Or other animations that should be improved?

~Elise the Indominus rex

Some of these I think are plausible, but only some.

There already is a feeding mechanic for spinosaurs when they feed from a fish feeder with varying animations (waiting above the water then striking down, then switching to dipping their jaws in the water then snapping at a close fish, or vice versa). If there already is a way for varying animations for fish feeding spinos, then there already is a potential chance to expand this general system to other dinosaur behaviors with additional animations.

You know, I did do an example idea of varying animations for certain already in-game dinosaurs you can check out for the huayangosaurus to make it more unique in concept.

In regards to the sauropods defending themselves, however, this might make the Indominus rex feel less special than it actually is in the franchise. The creature is designed to be a massive monstrosity of a dinosaur that the general public will enjoy. The only sauropod I see doing this to the Indominus rex is the Ankylodocus because it’s supposed to have no natural predators according to it’s hybrid profile video. The Indominus I don’t see being a “natural” predator, but I see it like where both hybrids hurt each other at the same time so neither one feels invincible.

Please....
No.

Adding specific references like that will outstay it's welcome very quickly. Once or twice will be fun. But you'll get tired of those animations very quickly and as a result you'd get tired of them in the films as well. Some might not have this problem, but I for one really do not want to see the exact same moves from the films in the game as well. Adding "Iconic" animations will stick out like a sore thumb.

That being said, I'm all for adding more varied and new animations. Just make them unique.

Some of these I think are plausible, but only some.

There already is a feeding mechanic for spinosaurs when they feed from a fish feeder with varying animations (waiting above the water then striking down, then switching to dipping their jaws in the water then snapping at a close fish, or vice versa). If there already is a way for varying animations for fish feeding spinos, then there already is a potential chance to expand this general system to other dinosaur behaviors with additional animations.

Yes, that is true. However, I also didn't say there is absolutely no diversity and variety of the animations in-game, but that just many animations are repetitive. If Frontier decided to make one or two additional animations for large carnivores for example when eating live bait, I was happy with that already as well.

In regards to the sauropods defending themselves, however, this might make the Indominus rex feel less special than it actually is in the franchise. The creature is designed to be a massive monstrosity of a dinosaur that the general public will enjoy. The only sauropod I see doing this to the Indominus rex is the Ankylodocus because it’s supposed to have no natural predators according to it’s hybrid profile video. The Indominus I don’t see being a “natural” predator, but I see it like where both hybrids hurt each other at the same time so neither one feels invincible.

Good point, I have to agree there. However, not sure about that as I don't own Wu's DLC, is the Ankylodocus capable of defending itself against the Indominus?

Please....
No.

Adding specific references like that will outstay it's welcome very quickly. Once or twice will be fun. But you'll get tired of those animations very quickly and as a result you'd get tired of them in the films as well. Some might not have this problem, but I for one really do not want to see the exact same moves from the films in the game as well. Adding "Iconic" animations will stick out like a sore thumb.

That being said, I'm all for adding more varied and new animations. Just make them unique.

Interesting approach, however, I can't really follow your train of thoughts. All animations get boring over time, those with references to movies are no exception there. But why should one get tired of them in the movies as well just because one sees them in-game sometimes? According to that argumentation, one would also get tired of seeing certain dinosaurs in the movies because of seeing them in-game all the time. I can just speak for myself, but I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't get bored by seeing certain moves and actions in the films just because they appear in the game sometimes.

Yes, that is true. However, I also didn't say there is absolutely no diversity and variety of the animations in-game, but that just many animations are repetitive. If Frontier decided to make one or two additional animations for large carnivores for example when eating live bait, I was happy with that already as well.
That’s why I tried to say that if there is a way for diverse animations already for the for a specific behavior (since feeding animations generally have one type of animation, though I could be wrong about this for the other dinosaurs) this can be a good start for even more diverse animations to other dinosaur species in general.

Good point, I have to agree there. However, not sure about that as I don't own Wu's DLC, is the Ankylodocus capable of defending itself against the Indominus?
No, it can not.

To make it hurt the Indominus rex, I see it as a new script sequence where both hybrids actually hurt each other st the same time. Because if the Ankylodocus is made to be a true invincible dinosaur by default, that might make the Indominus less special to the franchise.

That’s why I tried to say that if there is a way for diverse animations already for the for a specific behavior (since feeding animations generally have one type of animation, though I could be wrong about this for the other dinosaurs) this can be a good start for even more diverse animations to other dinosaur species in general.

I believe you are right there, there are some differences between killing animations on live bait, but one dinosaur always uses just one. I agree with you, Frontier should start there to expand the whole animations-thing.

No, it can not.

To make it hurt the Indominus rex, I see it as a new script sequence where both hybrids actually hurt each other st the same time. Because if the Ankylodocus is made to be a true invincible dinosaur by default, that might make the Indominus less special to the franchise.

I think that should be changed. The Indominus rex is a hybrid, yes, but it is still a living being. It needs to sleep, eat and drink, it breathes the same air like us; it's just alive, a living being. And thus it can be hurt or even killed. Thanks to its regular combat rating it is easily superior to most other carnivores or herbivores, that already makes it special. And it's even more special because it is the sole dinosaur that is capable of taking down sauropods. Making a hybrid-sauropod capable of at least successfully fending it off doesn't lower the Indominus' special place in the franchise.
Actually, why not? Why not make the Ankylodocus capable of hurting the Indominus enough that it decides to retreat, but it will never come to the situation that it can kill it?

Top Bottom