General / Off-Topic My shorts stink...

• Thread starter Deleted member 115407
  • Start date

Deleted member 115407

D
For a 45 y/o, this schedule is absolutely grueling. Bought a tractor tire yesterday so I could add "tire flip" and other exercises to "rock throw and sprint".... now known as "Yard HIIT".

Pro-Tip: Throwing heavy rocks on your lawn after a heavy rain makes your lawn look like .

IMG_1080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4 weeks into training for the London Marathon in October. Distances are going to get spicy over the next couple of weeks. Also got a 10k race on Sunday because I make poor life choices.

49 years old, running for 2 years. Everything hurts!

Oh, and the smell from my pants after 20+k runs round South London is petty special.

Deleted member 115407

D
4 weeks into training for the London Marathon in October. Distances are going to get spicy over the next couple of weeks. Also got a 10k race on Sunday because I make poor life choices.

49 years old, running for 2 years. Everything hurts!

Oh, and the smell from my pants after 20+k runs round South London is petty special.
Ha - nice!

I'm looking forward to a 175 Mile charity ride in September.

How much running are you doing per day/week for training?

Ha - nice!

I'm looking forward to a 175 Mile charity ride in September.

How much running are you doing per day/week for training?
175 is a good distance for sure. Not been on my bike for a year. My last ride ended in an argument with an Audi... I did cycle London to Cambridge on a single-speed a few years back. That totalled maybe 80 miles that day. My gear ratio was not ideal so I was suffereing by the end. I also bonked horribly, which taught me a lot about fueling!

The plan I'm on peaks at about 46.5 miles in a week, but focuses on work on consecutive days as opposed to super-long individual runs. I think that my longest week prior to training is ~40 miles so I have a fair idea of what that feels like. Only on week 4 so hasn't really stepped up yet.

The book I'm using is "Hansons First Marathon" which was recommended to me by a mate.It seemed to suit me better then other plans I looked at.

Deleted member 115407

D
175 is a good distance for sure. Not been on my bike for a year. My last ride ended in an argument with an Audi... I did cycle London to Cambridge on a single-speed a few years back. That totalled maybe 80 miles that day. My gear ratio was not ideal so I was suffereing by the end. I also bonked horribly, which taught me a lot about fueling!

The plan I'm on peaks at about 46.5 miles in a week, but focuses on work on consecutive days as opposed to super-long individual runs. I think that my longest week prior to training is ~40 miles so I have a fair idea of what that feels like. Only on week 4 so hasn't really stepped up yet.

The book I'm using is "Hansons First Marathon" which was recommended to me by a mate.It seemed to suit me better then other plans I looked at.
It's 175 over two days - should have mentioned that. Reminds me, I need to sign up for the ride. I completely forgot to do that.

Yeah, I never go on personal marathons. The 30-60 minutes of riding per day is more than enough to prepare me for a sportive. The last time I tried to run, I got really sharp pains in my shins that lasted a few days. Maybe shin splints? My being overweight could have contributed to it though. As I drop my excess I'll be incorporating more soft-surface short sprints into my HIIT sessions to help recondition those shins.

It's 175 over two days - should have mentioned that. Reminds me, I need to sign up for the ride. I completely forgot to do that.

Yeah, I never go on personal marathons. The 30-60 minutes of riding per day is more than enough to prepare me for a sportive. The last time I tried to run, I got really sharp pains in my shins that lasted a few days. Maybe shin splints? My being overweight could have contributed to it though. As I drop my excess I'll be incorporating more soft-surface short sprints into my HIIT sessions to help recondition those shins.

Ah OK. Still a reasonable push. And yes, signing up for stuff helps.

Yes, sounds like it could be shin splints. You need to build up running time & distance really slowly to prevent them from happening. It's annoying because cardio improves a lot quicker at first and it's easy to think "OK, this is getting easier" and then go out and muck up knees/shins/etc. 1st time I tried running as an adult, back in 2006ish, I did exactly that. My knees took months to get over it and I knocked the whole thing on the head. Losing weight is also good. I'm ~12kg down on what I was 2 years ago and it makes a hell of a lot of difference, especially over longer distances.

EDIT: Also good shoes. Another learned lesson on my part.

Bike's good as it's low impact... well, until it turns into very high impact I suppose! I had 2 good offs last year, the Audi was the 2nd, the first was misjudging a corner and ending up in the gravel. That involved hospital and my left knee looks like the surface of Mars!

Raced the 10k yesterday, mainly to see if my marathon target was doable. It is, I think, but will hurt. Strava said that I did 10k in 48:15 which isn't too bad for an old git - only 1, maybe 2 people older who were faster. Just missed my target of 48:00 but I'd forgotten how painful the long shallow climbs on that course were. Semi-bonked and lost that time between 7 and 8k, more lessons learned, and it's all good. :)

I smelled godawful by the end of that. Probably unpleasant to share my bus home with even after I'd blasted deo down my pants!

Last edited:

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Every time I visit the Off Topic forum and see this thread title I think "You are not supposed to wear them on your head!"

Top Bottom