My theory on thargoid logograms

Secret name reporting in!

As I started investigating thargoids a little bit, I stumbled across this old thread.
Question is - what is the purpose of marks on thargoid ships and how are they can be used?

Theory:

Thargoid markings are identification patterns that are dependent on natural phenomenas.

What do I base it on?

Purpose should be same as human marking - identification.
Thargoids are hive creatures, so identification in their case is identification of queen / swarm. Probably.

How to indentify a ship/swarm in a big galaxy?
Thargoids are teritorial, so....
By referencing to a birthplace.

How to find a reference in a galaxy without XYZ coordinates?
By using natural phenomenas as a reference points.

Most distinct things in the galaxy that can be used as reference points:
  • center
  • arms
  • other galaxies
  • nebulas
  • others ???? (please give me ideas, I will update)

Because thargoids are biological, they process of marking ships is probably based on something like:
  • eclipses
  • position in a system when ship is leaving the hive (or growing)
  • position to reference points mentioned earlier
  • some background radiation

Also, markings are not looking like something that was copy/pasted, but rather like something that happened in more natural way.
Examples:
  • when thargoid ship is growing there is a day when his shell is weak to some type of radiation, so markings are left as the planet orbits the star
  • when another ship is coming to get meta alloys (or whatever they do) the marking is made to reference position of nearby nebulas
... something along these lines.

Think about rings when you cut a tree.
You can deduce how much sun/pollution/nutritients tree got in a given year.
You can deduce how old it is.
You (probably) can deduce which side was north/south one.

That's why every center of thargoids marking is the same - their origin and "growing up" is in the same galaxy region and they all are exposed to same radiation / they "see" the same thing.
That's why on barnacles you get the same marking as on every other thargoid in the area.
They show their birthplace/swarm/home system.

As thargoids grow further, outer marks start to differ, based on their place in the galaxy and exposure to mark - creating radiation.

Based on that, and on hive nature of thargoids, I assume that innermost markings can be used to guess what region of space was the birthplace.
Barnacles are growing in pleiades and they have only center markings, so I assume they are made by something that can be observed from the planets barnacles grow on. (Barnard's loop nebula??)

Discovering mechanics of that innermost markings can open a way to analyze and pinpoint the location where next, middle circles were made.

What do you think?

The marking has been long thought of as being represenatative of barnard's loop, and potentially based on locality.

Unfortunately, with only one known locality/origin of Thargoids, and the Thargoid storyline all but paused, there's not really much further to progress theories atm :/

Do the new barnacles in Coalsack have distinct icons/markings? Or at least universally marked the same way? Perhaps we could start there since they are “new” (to the game anyway) and maybe deduce “strains” of Thargoids...?

Do the new barnacles in Coalsack have distinct icons/markings? Or at least universally marked the same way? Perhaps we could start there since they are “new” (to the game anyway) and maybe deduce “strains” of Thargoids...?
Nope, same old markings.

Top Bottom