Nearly gave myself a heart attack

I'm on my final leg of my return trip home after my long journey to the core (I expect to be docked and turning in data tonight). I had several brown dwarves in a row and it looked like 1 maybe two jumps left before being empty, so I checked my course to see what the next jump looked like.

Pulled up the map which was in realistic view, checked the start type - Typle L. Time to find a new course.

Switched map to map view - I have my filters set to only show stars of OBAFGKM by default.

Empty.... nothing in range showing. Just black.

All that data and time flashed before my eyes. My hopes of getting done tonight probably dashed as there was no guarantee there'd be a fuel rat nearby. I started mentally kicking myself for not getting careful.

My eyes scanned to the left of the map then realized...... my filter settings had come undone, no scoopable stars where in the settings.

Redid my filters, found several stars 3 lt yrs away....

Crisis adverted, but I'll admit, I nearly needed a change of underwear - I got a lot of data in this ASP!

Last edited:
Just for curiosity, how many tons of fuel do you guys carry in your ships?

I have a DBE with 72 tons of fuel, but I'll get 8 tons less to add a detailed surface scanner.

No extra fuel, no heatsinks, no sheilds, no weapons - just my lucky cannister of Onionhead to appease the Gods.

No extra fuel, no heatsinks, no shields, no weapons - just my lucky cannister of Onionhead to appease the Gods.

Tttt, lightweight ;).

2 heatsinks, 1 smallish extra fuel tank, no weapons, smallish shields. Interstellar soundtrack on continual loop.

It would be great to be able to plan routes just with KGBFOAM type stars, I just have the problem getting a decent route, and it's full of unscoopables...

It would be great to be able to plan routes just with KGBFOAM type stars, I just have the problem getting a decent route, and it's full of unscoopables...

+ or - height in about 200/300LY chunks. You'll get back to scoopables easily enough. People always forget that space is 3D :)
There is a field of unscoopables right between Sol and Sagittarius A at the exact height that human space is. Its like a test for all those going across to watch out for.

Remember if you run out of fuel the Fuel Rats are there to help :)

Just for curiosity, how many tons of fuel do you guys carry in your ships?

I have a DBE with 72 tons of fuel, but I'll get 8 tons less to add a detailed surface scanner.

I've never bothered with extra fuel tanks. I've even contemplated reducing my Asp to 16T. The extra weight impacts jump range, and I always scoop when I can, and rarely hit more than 2-3 unscoopables in a row. I will avoid the brown belts though.

I honestly don't understand the need for additional tanks unless you are a fuel rat of course, a fuel scoop is much more efficient.

With the max range of a good exploring ship on one tank using efficient setting at well over 750 ly as long as you keep an eye on the tank it is very difficult to get stuck. It may be slow or awkward but to be truly stuck without fuel or hope of scooping seems to be a Darwinian experience to me.

I honestly don't understand the need for additional tanks unless you are a fuel rat of course, a fuel scoop is much more efficient.

With the max range of a good exploring ship on one tank using efficient setting at well over 750 ly as long as you keep an eye on the tank it is very difficult to get stuck. It may be slow or awkward but to be truly stuck without fuel or hope of scooping seems to be a Darwinian experience to me.

Go out to the rim (or top and bottom) and say that.... your assumption is that the stars are close together to make the jumps efficient. When you are in an area that has limited stars and the gaps are near your max range, you are suddenly less likely to find a scoopable on a normal tank.

I have large fuel tank and several internal tanks for the phase where I am sprinting 2000 Ly to get some peace and quiet. I still get about 33Ly range in an Asp. Once in an area, using economical routes, jump range is irrelevant, but it's nice to know I can make about 800 Ly on the fuel I have.

Go out to the rim (or top and bottom) and say that.... your assumption is that the stars are close together to make the jumps efficient. When you are in an area that has limited stars and the gaps are near your max range, you are suddenly less likely to find a scoopable on a normal tank.

Sounds like a reasonable scenario. I've not played with fuel tanks yet. Are there any others you can think of?

Remember, we do Rescues EVERYWHERE. If you are Stranded 50KLY out in the other side of the disk, we'll come. it might take a while, but we'll be there.

Good to here it. Was just out on the rim and - well, plotting the route back with a cobra and 16T fuel was a lot of fun. Just got back to the loop, but glad to know the rats would have been there if things hadn't worked out.

Top Bottom