New and yet very old to Elite - but am genuinely astounded, it's a monumental achievement

What a fantastic welcome and what a brilliant set of responses and nostalgic reminiscence! It's interesting to see how many of us evidently found our way back here after playing in the 80's on a BBC/C64/Speccy. As you have all said Elite was uniquely wonderful back then and is uniquely wonderful now. There's some fantastically impressive engineering in evidence here in the motion rigs and as others have said this game is incomparable in VR. I noticed that Odyssey seems to come in for some flack but that's inevitable when a game pushes the envelope in terms of technology the way that Elite does. I never seem to get motion sickness in space or when playing flightsims but have occasionally managed to make myself queasy in the SRV and do wonder if playing a first person shooter variant like Odyssey in VR could be a bit of a challenge to one's stomach if it was available! I've never been any good at those first person shooter games anyway so to be honest Odyssey doesn't appeal as much as the base game and Horizons which I already have.

I've been working my way through the training missions and feel I am getting a basic understanding of the game and how to fly from place to place. The biggest help was taking the time to map the controls to my HOTAS but I still need to improve my muscle memory for where the controls are and I'm sure the control scheme will evolve over time. One thing I am struggling with is to understand the elite news channel displayed on the bottom left of the main menu in game. I'm guessing its purpose is to encourage players to head to a particular system and explore the mysteries within!

I'm sctually hoping that when II retire in 6/7 years Elite is going to provide amazing and free opportunity to play
im retired and have always played both old and new. but during lock down it saved the day ,still playing and of the other games i have they have gone bye and bye.cant find anything to beat the open play do what you want to do as in ed 07 cmdr

@Birdseed007 - are you using the “maintain vehicle horizon” comfort setting? I found it helped immensely when starting out in SRV VR (even though I was using it in Elite prior to getting VR - it gave me a better impression of how steep slopes were) - there are also blackout settings for when you enter a tumble.

As for the news feed - there are plenty of mysteries in Elite, some starting from Galnet stories, some from local news in Stations, and occasionally from things like Unregistered Comms Beacons. Finding these breadcrumb trails can lead to very interesting places 😁
Many thanks for this Arioch - I will try that setting as I haven't done so yet! So much to master in Elite and so much to discover!

Happy flying,

Birdseed

And I'm even older. I'm 63. And I've been playing Elite too - for a very long time. I told you about it here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/competition-your-fondest-frontier-memory.471033/post-7334437
Another oldie here, 58 in November. I too, go back to the c64 version.. This game is so good. Maybe us oldies see it as something special compared to the newer generation of gamers, because we saw and played it while it was basic and new, and always said to ourselves "Imagine a game like this way in the future" Well, we have.

Just came across this thread, another old-timer here (50). Grew up playing the Amstrad CPC version and got to Deadly. I really enjoyed reading the comments from similar people, I've always loved Elite and can still remember the first time I ever saw it on a friend's Spectrum and couldn't wait to go out and get a copy myself.

Now playing in VR on a Quest2 and am blown away, I can only imagine what my younger self would have thought of it!

I played last night on my 8 yr old sons Oculus Quest 2 I got him for Christmas, it blew my mind! I fly about in an eagle because it has a more snug feel to it and for the first time on VR when I turned my ship to the side I got an 'ohhhh' feeling in my gut as if I was going to fall. Keep in mind while setting it up for him so everything would be installed for Christmas, I played Star Wars squadrons and it just didn't go near what Elite VR made me feel. I suddenly began to feel the anguish of not having VR that is Odyssey compatible 😅

I enjoyed trying out Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, shooters like Pavlov and some other VR games, but it wasn't till I played Elite in VR did my jaw drop.

Top Bottom