Newcomer / Intro New guy. Don't shoot.

ARX is a virtual currency with which you can buy cosmetic items. You are awarded free Arx as you play (up to 400 per week) and you can buy "packs" of Arx to use for making purchases. So things like ship repaints, ship kits, weapon and engine colours, clothing for your holo-me and of course bobbleheads to go on your dashboard or lights to string over your canopy, etc.

You don't need any of these cosmetics, they provide no advantage in the game whatever. You might have had some Arx included with the version of the PS4 game you bought - I don't know about any console stuff.
Yeah, I haven't used ARX yet but I'm seriously thinking about getting something patriotic like a Union Flag paintjob. I might need to wait until I transition from furlough to a proper job though. I probably shouldn't be spending money right now.
Thank you. The PS4 game came with Horizons Season pass and 1000 Frontier Points. Not sure what the Season pass is for either. I'm still trying to pass my flight checks. LOL! Doing combat now.
I'm not sure what the season pass is for. I've never bought one so I don't know how they work, but you should be okay if you have horizons.

Thank you. The PS4 game came with Horizons Season pass and 1000 Frontier Points. Not sure what the Season pass is for either. I'm still trying to pass my flight checks. LOL! Doing combat now.

My tip would be to save your free ARX for now as when you buy most things it fits only the model of ship it was bought for. As the Sidewinder is your starting ship, you probably won't be using it for that long - Whilst the Sidewinder is a rather capable little ship, once you find the game style you enjoy most, there will be better options available (with loads of help in deciding from this forum, if needed)

Season Pass: It's the way PS describe the add on you got with your purchase. It seems to be called a "season pass" because some games drip feed new content as part of an expansion and the pass includes everything released as part of that. Some games offer the choice to purchase parts of an add-on or the whole "season" for less than the combined cost of the separate parts.

Hope that makes sense?

Thank you for your advice. I think I will save those points. Can they be used for Re buy insurance? I'm told it's best to have re buy.

No, they are completely separate. ARX only buy cosmetic items, so everything that actually improves your ship (or a rebuy) has to be bought with Credits.

One good think about that is, people who can afford to throw money at the game, can't buy themselves an advantage. Where as, in something like Grand Theft Auto Online, you could buy yourself an advantage by buying in game items with real world cash.

EDIT - If you can't (or won't) pay the rebuy cost (5% of your ships value) after a ship is destroyed, you loose it and get a free Sidewinder. As that's the starting ship anyway, it doesn't become a real issue until you start upgrading.

😀 @ kaocraft

Season Pass: It's the way PS describe the add on you got with your purchase. It seems to be called a "season pass" because some games drip feed new content as part of an expansion and the pass includes everything released as part of that. Some games offer the choice to purchase parts of an add-on or the whole "season" for less than the combined cost of the separate parts.

Hope that makes sense?

I think I get it in principle. Thanks, Withnail.

Hello and welcome.
Just from my humble 4month ps4 gameplay experience : don't be afraid of open in ps4 universe. I still need to meet ganker. Sometimes i go looking for trouble out of boredom(like sitting in front of jameson memorial in open), didn't find it so far. Now i even fly shieldless cargo cutter around in open, secretly wanting to find some action/trouble, just to spice up the gameplay. Ps4 cmdrs are rare commodity in open.
To conclude, didn't met hostile cmdr yet and i'm playing since beginning of march.

Yeah, I haven't used ARX yet but I'm seriously thinking about getting something patriotic like a Union Flag paintjob.

Here's my patriotic Cobra:

Lu8LvYK.jpg

I have read that there are some players out there in open play that will attack and destroy you for no reason so some people have made private groups. I'm wondering about Solo play. Is it best to start out with that and after you learn the flight systems and get a feel for it then move to open play? Is the content of open play the same in solo play? Such as money, mission and such? Thanks for any advice and please don't shoot the new guy. LOL.
While it is true that while in Open anything can happen, I think it makes for a more interesting game. I spent plenty of time in Solo while learning the game and still sometimes go back depending on what I’m doing and how big a pain it will be if I have to do it over again because I got killed. I find I prefer Open because there is actually some uncontrollable risks (i.e. humans) while Solo is generally not so dangerous unless you want it to be. Many, many, many different opinions on the topic, this one is mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom