New Launcher lost my game files

Hi, I just downloaded the new launcher and upon running it it wanted to re-install the game. I had previously changed my game install from my C drive which is small and running out of space to my brand new 4TB SSD drives for my games. It was all working fine but now I am in the middle of a 2 hour plus install which is going to my C drive where there may not be the space to hold it.
I can only hope that there is enough space to install on the C drive and that I can copy the whole folder to my new drive.
Why is there no option of where to install the game in the new launcher?

Hi, I just downloaded the new launcher and upon running it it wanted to re-install the game. I had previously changed my game install from my C drive which is small and running out of space to my brand new 4TB SSD drives for my games. It was all working fine but now I am in the middle of a 2 hour plus install which is going to my C drive where there may not be the space to hold it.
I can only hope that there is enough space to install on the C drive and that I can copy the whole folder to my new drive.
Why is there no option of where to install the game in the new launcher?
That's odd. Once the new exe is run, part of the process let's you define the install directory. At least, it did for me.

Not yet, still hoping it won't totally fill up my C drive when it finishes downloading, if it gets as far as that without running out of space....:(

Which version are you using? FDev, Steam or Epic?
Steam and Epic have their guides to recover an existing install if the launcher doesn't see them anymore.
Not sure about FDev.

The FDev one deffo let's you choose where to install the game - perhaps the Epic and Steam ones don't? I wouldn't know... if they don't that seems a little... short-sighted.

...Why is there no option of where to install the game in the new launcher?
Interestingly enough there is sort of. I started the download, realised it was going to the C drive then stopped it. Starting again I got the option and sent it to my SSD games E:\Frontier folder.

I wasn't paying a lot of attention so not quite sure how I did this. It was a direct purchase from Frontier.

Last edited:
I've stopped it a few times and restarted all I get is the same thing as below... manage is greyed out and if I click install there are no options to change the install place. Defaults to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch
I am now trying to clear space so that it will install and hopefully after that I can copy the whole thing across to my other drive. Anyone know of any reason this may not work?
My install is FDev, had the game since it was... well just a beta and I was an original backer. Decided to get back in as I now have an Oculus and wanted to play the game with that, I had the game updated and playable last week but then had a few days on holiday. Decide today to get it working and been at it for about 6 hours now.

Launcher.JPG

Last edited:
when i migrated from XB to PC, the launcher didnt ask for an install location... and it dropped 70gb in a rather weird location (appdata or something like that)
luckily i had plenty of space
so i wouldnt be surprised if they skipped this step on the new launcher as well

Running the installer from a different drive is an idea that hadn't occurred to me, up to now I have installed the game files on the C drive but I don't feel comfortable with the space they take up. Initially before trying the installer on a different drive I'd like to try moving the whole install to my large drive, but... I have some queries...
I can put a shortcut to the Launcher wherever it resides but it worries me that when the game updates in the future I will have problems with downloading game files not finding the install?
Any advice about moving the files?

Yeah.... I may have to just bite the bullet and do that....
Question: what do I need to do to save my control settings, game window settings etc(had to mess for ages to get these right for the oculus)

Incidentally the game looks excellent in the Oculus although so far I have only flew out of the station and back in, yet to see what the "on foot" looks like. Flying back in the wow factor took over and I did a few circles inside before getting totally lost and only found the pad with seconds to go.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If the game is downloaded then you don't need to delete it and redownload it to move it - simply install the launcher again on the chosen destination drive and copy the Products folder into the new EDLaunch folder.

i wouldnt worryI i have a hard time understanding me too sometimes as i just tend to tear along the dotted line personally ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom