New PC ordered, what should I realistically expect.

Morning all,

I've just ordered a new PC and am wondering what I can realistically expect in terms of settings and fps in VR for ED. That may sound pretty daft, dropping several thousand on a new PC and seemingly having little idea of what to expect beyond an improvement - but that's me, a techno idiot. I've got what I need it terms of work with the parts I've ordered and then just tried to add the best I can afford for a VR boost.

New PC build:

Corsair RM1000x 1000W psu
Intel Core i9 9900ks 4.0Ghz Turbo 5.0Ghz processor
Corsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB Liquid cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600Mhz RAM
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard
Nvidia GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GPU
x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME SSD
1 x 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5900RPM

I'm currently running an i7-6700k 4Ghz
16gb RAM
GTX 1070

I tend to play with a mix of Ultra and High, some medium and the usual things switched off. I don't suffer with nausea so lowish frames have never bothered me, to the point I don't think I notice in the way that many, more experienced, people do. If anyone can hint at what sort of FPS, settings I could expect or things I should bump up/keep low...or even off it would be really helpful.

Thanks

Would need to know what HMD you are using to estimate frame rates, but unless you're trying to push the highest resolution/refresh rate models available, I'd expect you to be able to nearly max out all settings presets (short of supersampling) without falling below the refresh rate of your HMD.

A 2080 Ti is between two and two-and-a-half times as fast as a GTX 1070 and you aren't likely to be particularly CPU limited.

I’ve got one of the Samsung Odyssey headsets, not the plus. I’m very happy with it, astonished actually. It‘s my first vr experience so I’ve no idea where I stand currently and what I can expect with it on the new system or what a different HMD would offer.

I’m not looking to upgrade headsets unless I were to find the new system shows any significant flaws in my current one.

Morning all,

I've just ordered a new PC and am wondering what I can realistically expect in terms of settings and fps in VR for ED. That may sound pretty daft, dropping several thousand on a new PC and seemingly having little idea of what to expect beyond an improvement - but that's me, a techno idiot. I've got what I need it terms of work with the parts I've ordered and then just tried to add the best I can afford for a VR boost.

New PC build:

Corsair RM1000x 1000W psu
Intel Core i9 9900ks 4.0Ghz Turbo 5.0Ghz processor
Corsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB Liquid cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600Mhz RAM
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard
Nvidia GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GPU
x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME SSD
1 x 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5900RPM

I'm currently running an i7-6700k 4Ghz
16gb RAM
GTX 1070

I tend to play with a mix of Ultra and High, some medium and the usual things switched off. I don't suffer with nausea so lowish frames have never bothered me, to the point I don't think I notice in the way that many, more experienced, people do. If anyone can hint at what sort of FPS, settings I could expect or things I should bump up/keep low...or even off it would be really helpful.

Thanks

Obviously, that is state of the art, so performance will be great. I have a similar setup but with a 3900x. With a Reverb, I run on VR ultra, at the native 4k resolution. Antialiasing is turned off - it is slow, and makes the image less sharp. I get 90 fps virtually everywhere, but rings are mostly 45. You will be GPU limited. Have a lot of fun with it!

Following Rock Hunter's example, I've been contemplating an upgrade from my 4690K@4.5GHz and 1080Ti@2.1GHz, running my Reverb. I had been holding out for Ice Lake but we all know how that turned out. I'm kicking around ideas of either:

1. Bite the bullet and pick up a 3950X/KS/Comet Lake and keeping my GPU. Don't see any point in Cascade Lake for ED or spending on any RTX over my Ti.
2. Keep my rig and just upgrade to a 3080Ti.
3. Same as (2) but with a view to later upgrading to Rocket Lake ( assuming the back port of Willow Cove to 14nm++ is true ).

If people have upgraded their CPUs and found an amazing difference, maybe I should just jump in with a new build now. On the other hand, if people have upgraded their CPUs, kept their GPUs and found the perceived improvement ( however you personally care to qualify it ) to be negligible then I may as well just sit on my Pascal card until Ampere launches.

Following Rock Hunter's example, I've been contemplating an upgrade from my 4690K@4.5GHz and 1080Ti@2.1GHz, running my Reverb. I had been holding out for Ice Lake but we all know how that turned out. I'm kicking around ideas of either:

1. Bite the bullet and pick up a 3950X/KS/Comet Lake and keeping my GPU. Don't see any point in Cascade Lake for ED or spending on any RTX over my Ti.
2. Keep my rig and just upgrade to a 3080Ti.
3. Same as (2) but with a view to later upgrading to Rocket Lake ( assuming the back port of Willow Cove to 14nm++ is true ).

If people have upgraded their CPUs and found an amazing difference, maybe I should just jump in with a new build now. On the other hand, if people have upgraded their CPUs, kept their GPUs and found the perceived improvement ( however you personally care to qualify it ) to be negligible then I may as well just sit on my Pascal card until Ampere launches.
You could try using something like fpsvr to see gpu and cpu load, but generally the gpu is the important thing for ED in VR. Prior to a 3900x, I was using a 2600k fine with a 1080ti. CPU load with 2600k was ~80%. With 3900x it is ~10%.

Thanks, this implies I can comfortably hold on before a full rig upgrade. Been reading that Zen 3 might be double digit % improvement over Zen 2 which, if true, will pretty much take Intel off of the table for the following 3 years. I'll check with fpsvr, however it sounds like I'll only be looking at the GPU next year.

Top Bottom