Newcomer / Intro New Player Thoughts a few weeks in.

Hello all!

CMDR Rethalis here. Finally got a few weeks under my belt, got past the train wreck of a learning curve and it ED has become my favorite game I have played.

I have never really played space games in the past, I played Bethesda's Starfield and it left an itch for exploration that Starfield couldn't scratch. So I did some searching and found ED. Bought it, loaded it up and did the tutorial missions and then set off into the bubble and immediately crashed and blew up my sidewinder. I blamed it on the ship, bought an eagle and crashed it. Having never played flight sims or flying games I was getting frustrated with flying. The first thing that really jumps out at you is the sheer amount of menus and systems, it really is overwhelming first starting out.

Built up most of my initial wealth doing on foot missions with the APEX service and gathering enough grade 3 equipment and started doing the on foot combat zones. Saved up about 110 million doing the combat zones and decided to get into the ship part of it.

Bought a dolphin and its slower handling compared to the sidewinder helped me get used to the controls and once I got the hang of it I realized the game is really centered around space and not the on foot stuff. I bought a vulture and and a DBX and started doing mercenary missions to get a hang of combat and collect materials for the frame shift drive.

Upgraded the DBX to 50 light year range over the weekend, outfitted it with all the explorer modules and loaded up on resources for synthesis and headed out on a long journey, about 14k LY round trip.

This is where the game gets really cool, currently sitting about 1700 LY from the bubble, discovered multiple untouched systems, found several systems where the star was discovered but none of the planets are. One particular system which had the star discovered but not the planets, has two planets with 4 and 5 biological markers to scan tonight. I am hoping it will stay undiscovered until I make the return to the bubble. If not, oh well.

I am hooked now, hoping for a large payout from this journey. When I return to the bubble I will be looking for some groups on the front lines of the thorgoid war. I don't have any of the engineering done for the ship weapons. Any suggestions on ships for the war without engineering? I am leaning to the type 10 and chieftain.

See you all on the front lines in a few weeks!

o7
Rethalis.

Welcome to the game Commander.

The T10 is a big heavy ship and handles appropriately so isn’t ideal for a first venture into the war, a Chieftain is much quicker and more agile so probably a better bet, it’s slightly bigger cousins the Crusader and Challenger might be better still.
Being able to outrun the enemy is very useful and being a cold ship will also help.
Apart from Scouts standard weapons will be ineffective.

A lot of Thargoid war is done with specific weapons which do not require engi (in fact they can not be engineered even). For example you can hunt scouts with AX Multicannons, which are very effective against them. At least modest ship engi is much recommended though, thrusters, FSD, armor, shield str/regen if possible too.

Another thing you can do and that does not require a lot of engi are evac missions - thrusters again, even more important, so you can outrun them after interdictions + FSD to get 200ish ly journey pleasant enough. Stock Orca nears 350 m/s which is already quite good, with g3 dirty drives - 450 m/s. Works quite well (then also those rescues are quite well paid, especially after you raise rep with the factions there).

Hi :)

Keep an eye out for high G planets..

This ^...:D
I've been there and done that (crashed into the planet with varying outcomes) so be vigilant! ;)
Also, you might find it's safer to play the game in solo when you head back to the bubble to hand in your data, at least for a while.

Jack :)

Jack is correct. Be very careful when returning to the bubble to return your exo and planet scans. losing a month or more of scans and bio finds is a tall price to pay. Check inara for the closest station or even a fleet carrier with the services to return your data. When I went on my big trip I roughly followed the road to colonia so I could return my data every couple of days. lots of good stuff out there. Have fun!

Top Bottom