New update but what about us??

I just finished skimming through the change log but did not see any mention of any type of improvement for DK2. This is very disappointing as I was hoping we get at least a little bit of love from Frontier management. I think we are on our own to make the best possible improvements with what we have.

I think the problem here is that the DK2 is a temporary device and oculus/frontier might be working on the consumer version right now. Recent news from Plamer Luckey shows that DK2 and futur CV1 won't be compatible. In 6 months i got my rift the oculus drivers are still very raw and buggy, next driver (5.0?) might cut the extended mode out and Frontier will need to change a lot of things for us to play. I remeber a Frontier dev talking about NDA stuff when asked about the futur improvement for DK2, so they might be working on the CV1 integration for Elite but can't say anything about it....

Thanks atlas, at least we can hope they are working on something for those of us that want to play the game in this format.

I literally have a pair of DK2 on the way.... is it worth it? I want it just for this game alone.

I bet it is worth it. From what I heard it is quite an experience and it is hard to go back once you experienced it.

That is why I have not bought one yet. Too many uncertainties at this stage.
I wear glasses for example and I read about people having some problems with that. The device also is still too low res and quite heavy and sweaty for those who tend to play many hours at a time. I am also in doubt about it's usefulness for the planned fpa part of the game.

Also, and that is a pure personal complication, I might lose sight in my right eye in the near future. If that is the case my 3d days are over anyway.

Last edited:
I bet it is worth it. From what I heard it is quite an experience and it is hard to go back once you experienced it.

That is why have not bought one yet. Too many uncertainties at this stage.
I wear glasses for example and I read about people having some problems with that. The device also is still too low res and quite heavy and sweaty for those who tend to play many hours at a time. I am also in doubt about it's usefulness for the planned fpa part of the game.

Also, and that is a pure personal complication, I might lose sight in my right eye in the near future. If that is the case my 3d days are over anyway.

There needs to be a setting with people that can't see in one eye, as to not waste processing power.

GENETiX said:
I literally have a pair of DK2 on the way.... is it worth it? I want it just for this game alone.

I wrestled with this dilemma for a while too. I picked up a DK2 last week and haven't regretted a single moment of it! If I only played Elite: Dangerous it would still be worth it, but I highly recommend browsing Oculus Share for some great experiences.

Honestly, I recommend Sightline: The Chair as the first thing you should try (after going through the setup process, of course). It's the thing I'm going to use to introduce new people to the Rift.
Also recommended: Discovering Space for a more leisurely space experience than ED. And Vox Machinae to see what a fully-featured mech game will look like when made for VR from the ground up.

Back to the original topic, think of it this way: Even if they announced the CV1 release date tomorrow, you would still have, what? 5-12 months before it actually comes out to enjoy your DK2 before having to decide to upgrade (or not).

IT might not be mentioned, but I'm sure there have been tweaks in this release for the DK2 - or at least, there have been improvements that have a knock on improvement to DK2 users. Text seems larger and more readable, general performance improvements mean things are smoother overall.

Top Bottom