No Deep Water Requirement For Polar Bears

In the update notes for 1.6, it says that polar bears are supposed to have a deep water requirement, but that doesn’t show up in the Zoopedia. Does anyone know why this is?

I think they gave the bears the ability to deep dive if you give them enough water, but did not make it a requirement so that existing habitats wouldn't show up as having bad welfare. So it's more like an enhancement or enrichment than a requirement. They did something similar when they added it to the gharials.

In the animal's terrain tab, the deep water doesn't show up as a requirement in the four boxes for land, water, climbing and deep water. But if they have sufficient area to dive there will be a bar just under that which will say Deep Water 100%, which is how we know that we've given them enough to activate the deep diving animation.

Adjusted Polar Bear habitat requirements to address player feedback - more information provided below :
  • Space requirement down to 3250m² from 6000m²; down to to 650m² from 1000m² for additional animals
  • Water requirement down to 720m² from 2000m²; up to 360m² from 250m² for additional animals
  • Added new deep water requirement for diving, 180m² base and 25m² for additional animals
  • Increased enrichment requirement slightly
  • Added biome and continent suitability for Taiga and Asia
Found it! :)

Last edited:
I think they gave the bears the ability to deep dive if you give them enough water, but did not make it a requirement so that existing habitats wouldn't show up as having bad welfare. So it's more like an enhancement or enrichment than a requirement. They did something similar when they added it to the gharials.

In the animal's terrain tab, the deep water doesn't show up as a requirement in the four boxes for land, water, climbing and deep water. But if they have sufficient area to dive there will be a bar just under that which will say Deep Water 100%, which is how we know that we've given them enough to activate the deep diving animation.
I don't think it would cause a problem with existing habitats as deep water requirement in patch notes is much smaller than the total water area. Existing habitats had minimum 2000 square metres of water and the requirement is only 180 square metres. Does not steal space from land or decorations. Total area required has also been halved, so all existing habitats are already in excess. I think they just forgot to add it to game code, since its in patch notes.

And gharial is different i think, since no other crocodile has deep water requirement.

I don't think it would cause a problem with existing habitats as deep water requirement in patch notes is much smaller than the total water area. Existing habitats had minimum 2000 square metres of water and the requirement is only 180 square metres. Does not steal space from land or decorations. Total area required has also been halved, so all existing habitats are already in excess. I think they just forgot to add it to game code, since its in patch notes.
You need 180 sq meters with at least 4 meter deep. If you had 3000 sq meters of water, but none of it was 4m deep, your polar bears wouldn't be able to dive. So, if the requirement for deep water was compulsory, you would get protesters because of welfare issues. That's why Frontier said they didn't plan to make this requirement compulsory for previous animals. That could ruin old habitats and players would need to deepen the water section.

You need 180 sq meters with at least 4 meter deep. If you had 3000 sq meters of water, but none of it was 4m deep, your polar bears wouldn't be able to dive. So, if the requirement for deep water was compulsory, you would get protesters because of welfare issues. That's why Frontier said they didn't plan to make this requirement compulsory for previous animals. That could ruin old habitats and players would need to deepen the water section.
Did you see my message above that? The patchnotes has deep diving stats.

Did you see my message above that? The patchnotes has deep diving stats.
Yes, I saw it. Did you read my message?
The patch notes say what the requirements are for getting diving animals. It doesn't mean it's compulsory for the welfare of the animal. If you don't meet them, your bears won't dive, but they won't be in red welfare because it is not mandatory.

I'm just repeating the explanation given by Frontier.

Yes, I saw it. Did you read my message?
The patch notes say what the requirements are for getting diving animals. It doesn't mean it's compulsory for the welfare of the animal. If you don't meet them, your bears won't dive, but they won't be in red welfare because it is not mandatory.

I'm just repeating the explanation given by Frontier.
Since it says this for polar bears "Added new deep water requirement for diving, 180m² base and 25m² for additional animals", I guess that announcement about not including a requirement is for other animals like sun bear or black bear. Otherwise why would they conflict themselves?

Also what I meant by "it won't effect existing habitats" is, small changes to vast empty water area of 2000 square metres by adding a small indent in the ground will fix the welfare problem without any problem to overall habitat layout or the paths around it. They did a similar addition to the jaguar by adding water space without increasing total habitat space requirement. In this case polar bear space was already halved, so it is even more suitable.

Sorry if my sentences are difficult to understand, english is not my native language.

Gharials don't have a Deep Water Requirement. All Crocodiles that are currently in the Game can dive but none of them needs deep Water to be happy
Yes, exactly my point. Even the new animal, caiman didn't get requirements. So I think it is intended for all crocodiles to not have it.

Top Bottom