No VR in odyssey at launch?

If this info has been changed then please let me know but I just watched a video on odyssey and the person was going over some info that Frontier put out. In the post he was reading it stated that VR will not be supported at launch for Odyssey which honestly has me a bit miffed and confused.

So how will Odyssey work at launch then? Will I be able to even boot up VR for the rest of the game or will it just be disabled when launching the Odyssey expansion? I don't really understand why VR won't be a thing at launch when indy devs with 1 man teams can put a dirty yet workable VR in their games....The argument could be made that Frontier wants it to be as polished as possible but still, I feel like it should launch with it.

But yeah my main question is will I be able to use VR for the rest of the game or am I going back to my monitor until they patch it in at some point?

If this info has been changed then please let me know but I just watched a video on odyssey and the person was going over some info that Frontier put out. In the post he was reading it stated that VR will not be supported at launch for Odyssey which honestly has me a bit miffed and confused.

So how will Odyssey work at launch then? Will I be able to even boot up VR for the rest of the game or will it just be disabled when launching the Odyssey expansion? I don't really understand why VR won't be a thing at launch when indy devs with 1 man teams can put a dirty yet workable VR in their games....The argument could be made that Frontier wants it to be as polished as possible but still, I feel like it should launch with it.

But yeah my main question is will I be able to use VR for the rest of the game or am I going back to my monitor until they patch it in at some point?
Further to the last post - VR will work as it does now (ships & SRVs) with the new worlds introduced in Odyssey, however when going “on foot” the game will transition into an in-helmet flatscreen view.

This will be available at launch. FDev have said that they won’t do on-foot VR until it matches the quality of the in-cockpit experience, so hopefully in the future they will enhance things for us.

Edit: the announcement was here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/odyssey-update-on-vr-and-ship-interiors.554223/#post-8690526

Further to the last post - VR will work as it does now (ships & SRVs) with the new worlds introduced in Odyssey, however when going “on foot” the game will transition into an in-helmet flatscreen view.

This will be available at launch. FDev have said that they won’t do on-foot VR until it matches the quality of the in-cockpit experience, so hopefully in the future they will enhance things for us.

Edit: the announcement was here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/odyssey-update-on-vr-and-ship-interiors.554223/#post-8690526

Cheers, thanks for the info! I guess I can handle that, I was really dreading having to go back to an only monitor playstyle.

Cheers, thanks for the info! I guess I can handle that, I was really dreading having to go back to an only monitor playstyle.
I’m happy we’re getting some VR at launch but there’s still plenty I’d like to know about the in-helmet flatscreen view - eg. can we reposition/resize it, is it curved, is the side-by-side 3D option still available, will it use the same graphics/control options, is there any sort of head tracking? etc.

It sounds like we’ll just be able to take off the headset as well, though how well that’ll work with the current VR mirror view remains to be seen - the window resolution settings always seem to reset for me on each game start.

Still, hopefully not too much longer until the questions can be answered 😁

You are not alone in this. When it was announced the VR players here (including myself) went a bit bonkers and started changing usernames and avatars in support of VR gameplay ... That kind of died away after the announcement of how it would actually work, but remains in some usernames and avatars.

I'm actually really happy about the offered implementation FD have suggested. I would love for the whole of the game to be in VR, but I also get why on-foot VR needs to be done right, and lets be fair, the market is in pancake mode, that's where the majority of the player base is and FD need to get that right.

I can't wait to be flying through planets with bright blue skies, canyon skimming in a SLF with a setting sun, on a moon orbiting a huge gas giant. The change in colour will be fantastic (kinda bored of all the black!) and to be doing that in VR...

513893_w926.jpg

Top Bottom