Oculus Rift performance help

I've been playing Elite Dangerous on the dk2 for a bit now and I have to say it is absolutely amazing. There is one tiny problem and that is I cannot seem to get consistent performance to save my life. There are always micro jutters and everything turns gray every 10 or so seconds. I believe this is due to my computer not being powerful enough, so I think and upgrade is in order. As I have 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram and I'm running it off an ssd I believe my problem is my cpu and/or gpu. I don't want to upgrade both if I don't have to, but I am not experienced enough in Oculus Performance tuning to know which one it is. I'm running a i7 2400k 3.4ghx quad core cpu and a single 770gtx 4gb gpu. I would like any thoughts as to the upgrade route that would be best. I love the game and I doubly love it in VR, but the jitter and juttering of the screen limits my play time to less then 30min a go.

There are always micro jutters and everything turns gray every 10 or so seconds.

Turning grey every 10 seconds suggest an issue with the Rift's camera. Have you tried restarting the Oculus service? Have you tried powering the camera via the included optional usb power supply?

Search for posts about CPU Parking and Hyperthrerading disabling, that should sort out the greying (camera losing your postion. try hiding the rift under the desk and the screen will washout, it's a feature)

ED is hugely GPU heavy. My old i7 950 is doing an admirable job. Ive upgraded to GTX970 and am still tuning the judders out of it.
Dont forget, it is a Dev kit so expect some dabbling. Actually quite a lot of it.

Thank you. I'll look up the hyperthreading info. I'd never have thought about that causing issues. Also I know it will have problems, I wasn't so much complaining as seeking info to help me further optimize what I can. Without any other points of reference it's hard to know what I can and can't fix =)

Top Bottom