Oculus Rift S...I wonder where the yellow went?

Anybody remember that commercial? Think it was for Javex, way before I-Pods.

Anyway, back to the point. I just bought the S, have the Rift. My yellows use to be yellow but now with the S they are more of an Orange color.

My video card is a EVGA GTX 1070. How do I fix this now?

I’m not aware of any method of adjusting colour intensity with the Rift - when I moved from the Rift to the Rift S the colour intensity and black levels definitely decreased due to moving from the OLED screen to LCD, the oranges in ED looking more yellow to my eyes.

I compensated by increasing the HUD brightness setting and dropping the gamma a couple of notches.

This probably won’t help your issue, but maybe having a fiddle with various game settings might lessen the problem.

Also: never heard of that advert, I’m guessing I’m on the wrong side of the Atlantic to get the reference :)

Sorry for the slight derail, have some time off over Christmas, plan to get back into ED for a few weeks. The straps on my CV1 are screwed, was planning on getting a rift-s until the next batch of HMD's release. All this talk of non adjustable IPD, loss of blacks and now washed out colors is making me consider just getting another CV1.

Can anyone who has both chime in, would the S be a better choice over the CV1?

...Can anyone who has both chime in, would the S be a better choice over the CV1?
After getting the S, I was initially a bit hmmm at the LCD drawbacks but the increase in clarity and the loss of godrays more than made up for it. It’s a bit like going back to HDMI limited colour depth on the CV1 but pumping up HMD Quality a notch. Passthrough view is useful and the inside-out tracking has been as good as my 3 sensor CV1 setup.

I’ve even got used to the crappy directed sound, and now quite like having the ability to root around in an ear’ole if I want to :)

Yeah, same for me, I also get the S after I had the CV1 over 2 years and it is not in all point an upgrade, but overall the much better sweetspot, the much lower SDE and the much lower godrays are much more important than the downsides. The bad thing on LCD is also a win because of the RGB Subpixel Matrix instead of the Pentile one from the OLED, thats why the different in SDE is that big between CV1 and S, much more than you would aspect when you only compare the resolutions.

And i think also Rift S is more cofortable to wear.

But on point is very important to know about the Rift S: There is no Hardware IPD adjustment and Software alone is not replacement for it at all. The optimal IPD for the Rift is 63mm, if you are only +- 2mm away from it there should be no problem at all, but I already hear from people that had problems with it with a IPD of 66mm.

I wonder where the yellow went was from a Pepsodent commercial from the late 40' 50's. I'm not that old but I'm sure I've seen those commercials in the 60's but anyway I remembered that line.

I am getting use to the colors of the S after using it now for about a week, lowering gamma helps a bit.

I wonder where the yellow went was from a Pepsodent commercial from the late 40' 50's. I'm not that old but I'm sure I've seen those commercials in the 60's but anyway I remembered that line.

I am getting use to the colors of the S after using it now for about a week, lowering gamma helps a bit.
Ah, I popped out a decade too late for that then!

So there is no way to adjust color curves for HMDs like we can for monitors? I'd also like a way to adjust LCD backlight brightness (turn it down to darker blacks).

I lowered my supersampling to 1.0, HMD up to 1.5 and lowered the gamma, still playing around but that help a bit.

There's a thread I was just reading about SS, and HMD lastnight,, I will adjust my setting in Steam as suggested by one CMDR and see if that even makes it better.

Top Bottom