Oculus VR - Choppy visuals (Some of the time)

Hi CMDRs,
I am having issues with ED in VR. Recently upgraded my GPU from an r9 380 4GB to an RX 590 8GB. I am getting very choppy visuals when in CZs, Haz Res and when any other players are in the same instance.
Playing in 2D on my monitor I get 90 fps with ultra settings and no issues.

I was running ED in VR on an R9 380 4GB with low settings but I had consistent GPU activity and decent enough fps considering.

System specs:
AMD FX 8320 Black edition
Asrock 990 Extreme 4
16GB GDDR3
Sapphire RX590 8GB
PSU 850W

I don't think it is hardware related as all other games run in Ultra at 90fps (Deus EX MKD and GTAV) and other Oculus games run fine too.
Just Elite in VR that has the issues.

Any help appriciated.

Best

CMDR Arkanoid (Guardians of Tranquillity)

Last edited:
Hi CMDRs,
I am having issues with ED in VR. Recently upgraded my GPU from an r9 380 4GB to an RX 590 8GB. I am getting very choppy visuals when in CZs, Haz Res and when any other players are in the same instance.
Playing in 2D on my monitor I get 90 fps with ultra settings and no issues.

I was running ED in VR on an R9 380 4GB with low settings but I had consistent GPU activity and decent enough fps considering.

System specs:
AMD FX 8320 Black edition
Asrock 990 Extreme 4
16GB GDDR3
Sapphire RX590 8GB
PSU 850W

I don't think it is hardware related as all other games run in Ultra at 90fps (Deus EX MKD and GTAV) and other Oculus games run fine too.
Just Elite in VR that has the issues.

Any help appriciated.

Best

CMDR Arkanoid (Guardians of Tranquillity)
Have you tried the latest drivers (ver 1.37) for the Rift?
Also, try the game in solo mode to see if the stuttering is network related.

I had to re-install Oculus as I had tracking issues after I installed the new card so that is well up to date.
I will try it in solo (never been in solo before!) and see what happens. But as i said, ED playing on a monitor runs at 90 fps Ultra no problem.

Only mentioned the new Oculus drivers because they only got released last week (4th) and some people never got notice to upgrade.

I am actually thinking this "is" Elite causing the issue. All other games, VR or Monitor based run nice and smooth at 90fps.
As much as I don't want too, looks like I am doing another reinstall of ED.~
I had similar issues when I upgraded from a 2xHD7750s to a single R9380 and had to re-install on frontiers advice.
Thanks for the pointers anyway CMDRs.
Fly safe! o7

Reinstall fixed it. Nice, Smooth fps, feels totally different. Did an infiltration data scan mission, my god it was pure joy driving around the outpost in the srv.

O7

ASW does this to me; I tend to force it off and it stops. I think that's due to my CPU being ancient as it only really tends to affect ED. Nice to see you got it sorted.

I did run ASW off through the debug tool (admin rights and before booting Oculus Home) before the re-install but it always seemed to kick back in. Maybe I should try it again. Elite only really get as low as 70fps with the settings I have in VR so the drop would hardly be that noticeable.
Thanks for the reminder on ASW.

Top Bottom