On the distribution of white dwarfs

Scanning around the galaxy I noticed I wasn't seeing white dwarfs.
Going into the codex pointed me to a number of systems but they all seem to be 1000 LY above or below the galactic plane. Are there any regions other than the Bubble where White Dwarfs are found close to the plane?

Scanning around the galaxy I noticed I wasn't seeing white dwarfs.
Going into the codex pointed me to a number of systems but they all seem to be 1000 LY above or below the galactic plane. Are there any regions other than the Bubble where White Dwarfs are found close to the plane?

This may help you, note the WD exclusion zone, it's an artifact of the stellar forge, the WD's in the bubble are not representative of the distribution in the ED galaxy;

Broadly the procedural stars get older as you move away from the galactic plane, so you only get white dwarfs in any meaningful numbers once you're far enough from the plane for the maximum age of the stars to be higher than the lifespan of a F/G-class star (and as you can see from the chart, there's a very definite vertical cutoff for that). Similarly for other things off the main sequence - red giants, neutron stars, black holes, etc.

I've made two visualisations which might help. They are made up of spheres where each sphere represents a 100ly x 100ly x 100ly volume in the galaxy.

In this first one the color of each sphere represents the raw count of white dwarves discovered in that area - brighter is more white dwarves.

However, it looks clear what you're really seeing here is where people have been searching for white dwarves! Tracks where people have gone on a dwarf hunting spree are clearly visible.

To try and give a truer picture of white dwarf distribution, in this second visualization, the color of each sphere is the number of white dwarves in the each volume divided by the number of discovered systems in that area. Dwarves will still be overrepresented as people go out of their way to visit them, but you can see in this second visualization the highly trafficked areas seem to have a lower proportion of dwarves - these are the areas where people are not as likely to be looking for dwarves and so the color in those high traffic areas is a truer representation of the distribution of dwarves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom