Orbital Period Of A Station

Does anyone know of a formula for calculating the orbital period of a station around a planet? There is a particular station that I haul to, and I'd like to know when it's going to be behind the planet so supercruise assist will stop slamming me into the planet. I'd like to be able to figure out, for example, that from 02:10:00 to 02:30:00, the station is going to be behind the planet and I'm actually going to have to pay attention to my supercruise during that period of time.

Does anyone know of a formula for calculating the orbital period of a station around a planet? There is a particular station that I haul to, and I'd like to know when it's going to be behind the planet so supercruise assist will stop slamming me into the planet. I'd like to be able to figure out, for example, that from 02:10:00 to 02:30:00, the station is going to be behind the planet and I'm actually going to have to pay attention to my supercruise during that period of time.
The formula for calculating the velocity (v) needed for a circular orbit at radius (r) from a planet of mass (M) is v=√GM/r with (G) being the gravitational constant.

The distance the station travels for a single orbit is given with 2πr, so you can work out how long it will take to move that distance at velocity (v).

The local planet mass is given on the system map (as in: how many Earth masses) and you can get the orbital radius from targeting the planet when at the station.

Seems a bit of a faff and personally I’d just spend a short time flying away from the orbital plane before engaging the autopilot 😁👍

Thank you for the replies. I figured it out myself through trial and error. The station is transited behind the planet from 02:30 to 03:30. I'm sure there are other times as well, but those are outside of my playing hours. Now, only 240 more round trips to go....

Top Bottom