Ships Orthrus hunting FDL?

What do AX ship build pros think of this build for Orthrus hunting in Alert systems? I was thinking of a fast and well shielded vessel for this task. It’s a - not fully - engineered FdL with 4 Sirius AX Missile racks and a huge efficient TV beam. Thanks for any input!

Well…. turns out that I just cannot take the Orthrus shield out in time with a huge gimballed beam. Who would have thought so 🤔? Tried ramming it additionally, but that doesn’t suffice either. Would be great to get some tips on how to melt Orthtus shields. I am tyring it just with the beam laser. Should I use my 4 Sirius AX racks simultaneously while the shield is still up?

Edit: ok, tried the latter option & it just worked shortly before the Orthrus tried to wake out. I put the beam laser and the 4 sirius missiles in the same fire group and it finally popped. But it does not feel like a 100% reliable build due to the time issue.. maybe I should get a 5th Sirius rack instead and use them on my 4500 hullpoints Krait mk2 with the weapon stabilizer 🤔

Last edited:
no, due to an issue only four missile racks will work. Krait mk2 : 1 3c Pacifier Frag-Cannon \ rapid fire , inc. rounds , 4 2e Sirius AX Missile Rack

Well…. turns out that I just cannot take the Orthrus shield out in time with a huge gimballed beam. Who would have thought so 🤔? Tried ramming it additionally, but that doesn’t suffice either. Would be great to get some tips on how to melt Orthtus shields. I am tyring it just with the beam laser. Should I use my 4 Sirius AX racks simultaneously while the shield is still up?

Edit: ok, tried the latter option & it just worked shortly before the Orthrus tried to wake out. I put the beam laser and the 4 sirius missiles in the same fire group and it finally popped. But it does not feel like a 100% reliable build due to the time issue.. maybe I should get a 5th Sirius rack instead and use them on my 4500 hullpoints Krait mk2 with the weapon stabilizer 🤔
If it comes to time, you can take missiles not from Sirius but they have 2 times less ammunition. But they're twice as fast ...

And here it is:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nrljry_nak

Cytoplasma sounds good. I can't / won't unlock powerplay stuff so instead I go for the shield with large/small/small fixed frag cannons, double shot and incendiary on an Anaconda. 3 large and 2 medium Sirius missiles for hull. It works fine unless I get buffeted several km away at the start

I tried it with 5 medium Sirius AX missile racks on a Krait Mk2 in the meantime. To my surprise, also worked ok 👍 this is the build: https://edsy.org/#/L=HE8Y8yms0H4C0S...35I_W023u1313qH35I_W03Gm0320m131-C13,,RA_D19K

I immediately start spamming rockets as soon as the Orthrus leaves its frameshift cloud.

Alternative: Conda with loads of caustic sinks, 5d repair, and additional huge beam laser for the shield

Last edited:
Now I just have to find more Orthrus signal sources. I tried to farm them yesterday in Poqomathi to help with Alert progress. Played 45 min., got three NHSS 4: the first one was gone before I got there, the second was a successful kill and the third was empty for 7-8 min except for the Thargoid probe, then I left. 🤔still kind of a lowish spawn rate, or was it just bad luck?

Thanks for this thread. I've been at a loss as what to do in solo since being told to stand down from hitting Oya. I'll play around with some of these builds. Cheers

Top Bottom