Pelicans please !!!

Please Frontiee, make pelicans. They dont need flying. :)

304463771-480px.jpg

australian_pelicans.f03ba4a.width-800.a91c827.jpg

6819421cc51decdfa11a2b496e4f5357.jpg

I agree definitely a must before support ends. Our local zoo had American white pelicans. They develop a crest on the top of their beak during mating season and disappears after.
FE9C81C1-C780-4ED4-8967-C7194E39EED3.jpeg

Also would love Turkey, spoonbills, shoebill, Secretary bird, and crowned cranes. Of course flying birds too if possible but since there’s been no indication I’ll stick to ground birds.

IF they are holding back the pelican, it has nothing to do with aviary mechanics.
Ive seen many pelicans in zoos before, but they were never inside of a cage or net but open air enclosures.
What i do believe is, that if they are held back its because that they are one of the last abc animals left, making them very likly to be a star animal in the future.
I also wouldnt be surprised at all if they simply are struggling with their beak lol

IF they are holding back the pelican, it has nothing to do with aviary mechanics.
Ive seen many pelicans in zoos before, but they were never inside of a cage or net but open air enclosures.
What i do believe is, that if they are held back its because that they are one of the last abc animals left, making them very likly to be a star animal in the future.
I also wouldnt be surprised at all if they simply are struggling with their beak lol
Yes, but Frontier can do it, they make kangaroos pouch, prehensile tail binturongs and moving seals. I trust them to do it :)

PAY-Pelicans.jpg

Where would they even put pelican in past DLCs?
It got simply outcompeted every time by by far more popular options and cant be just put as simple species slave like dogs and ungulates. Theoretically aquatic pack was closest, but it had only 4 habitat species so no place for 2nd bird. Packs have limited spots for species requiring new animations.

There was no place and wont be unless we will get pack with no better animal to pick (presumably something in form of coastal pack). Worth to mention most popular pack ideas around there are biomes that cant fit pelican whatsoever: rainforests, mountains, nocturnal, grasslands, generic forests.

Getting bird is very very hard especially if it requires new rig and animation set.

Where would they even put pelican in past DLCs?
It got simply outcompeted every time by by far more popular options and cant be just put as simple species slave like dogs and ungulates. Theoretically aquatic pack was closest, but it had only 4 habitat species so no place for 2nd bird. Packs have limited spots for species requiring new animations.

There was no place and wont be unless we will get pack with no better animal to pick (presumably something in form of coastal pack). Worth to mention most popular pack ideas around there are biomes that cant fit pelican whatsoever: rainforests, mountains, nocturnal, grasslands, generic forests.

Getting bird is very very hard especially if it requires new rig and animation set.
1662889088133.png

Instead of badger in Europe pack.
Instead of platypus in Wetlands.

Not saying a pelican would be a better or worse choice than these, but I assume they might be somewhat comparable in the time it takes to make them and their popularity

Instead of badger in Europe pack.
Instead of platypus in Wetlands.

Not saying a pelican would be a better or worse choice than these, but I assume they might be somewhat comparable in the time it takes to make them and their popularity
It's tricky because the playtpus was so popular as a choice, and we needed more Oceanian species, but they absolutely butchered it with its space requirements so I definitely would have preferred a pelican.

It's tricky because the playtpus was so popular as a choice, and we needed more Oceanian species, but they absolutely butchered it with its space requirements so I definitely would have preferred a pelican.
That is true, but something has to be sacrificed, unfortunately. An Australian pelican could be an option, even though not the most logical species to go with. Alternatively, they could have gone with a swamp wallaby instead of the caiman and then make the pelican a great white.
But I probably would have preferred it in the Europe pack, since that pack was 50/50 carnivore/ungulate.

My hope is something like a coastal pack, featuring the pelican as the new high effort animal, with a Sea Otter, Walrus and a 4 animal, id personally love an oystercatcher, but something like the little blue penguin would also work just fine.

The bigger question would be, what pelican?

We Got the most common one, the great white pelican which feels the most likly for its great range of asia, africa and europe.
191653.jpg

The spot billed pelican, a rare pelican but with a small captive presence from the phillipenes.
Graupelikan.jpg

The pink backed pelican, common in captivity as well, from south saharan africa and the southern parts if the middle east.
Roetelpelikan 7 Berlin-Friedrichsfelde.jpg

The peruvian pelican with a small captive presence from south america.
Chile-Pelikan.jpg

The dalmatian pelican, second most common in the EAZA and from europe and western asia
15 Krauskopfpelikan.jpg

The brown pelican, very rare in EAZA zoos but propaply quite common in the AZA.
stlichermeerespelikanpe6zn.jpg

Australian pelican, which is white, rare and australian.
301.jpeg.jpg

White american pelican, just as white, rare and boring, but this time with a crest.
Nashornpelikan.jpg

Personally id like the great white, dalmatian and brown the best, ideally id love 2 pelicans in general but hey thats what mods are for

White american pelican, just as white, rare and boring, but this time with a crest.
This one is most common in USA.
Average example of native species being kept in captivity.

According go zoochat 12th february:
1. White American Pelican 38-39
2. Brown Pelican 29
3. Pink-backed Pelican 16
4. Great White Pelican 12
5. Dalmatian Pelican 5
6. Peruvian Pelican 1

So they keep mostly native pelicans.

Last edited:
For the EAZA its:

1. Great White Pelican 229
2. Dalmatian Pelican 95
3. Pink Backed Pelican 66
4. Australian Pelican 12
5. Spot Billed Pelican 9
6. Eastern Brown Pelican 6
7. White American Pelican 6
8. Peruvian Pelican 1

So while i think the Peruvian is the most beautiful looking one, the numbers very strongly suggest that we should get the great white pelican for its pverwhelming abundance in the EAZA and decent AZA presence.

If we get a second one, id choose the brown pelican, as its the second most common in the AZA and after the peruvian the most unique and distinct looking.
Together with the great white these 2 species would also span every continent besides australia and antarctica, giving us the highest range for the smallest amount of pelicans.

Back
Top Bottom