Performance Megathread. Please report your hardware and your feedback for performance issues.

Please report your hardware and your feedback for performance issues so that FDEV can collect enough info to sort out the performance issue.
Mods, it would be nice to have it stick on top for better visualization
Please follow the template so we don't forget anything.

CPU: i7 7700K
GPU: nVidia GTX 1080
RAM: 16 GB
Internet Connection: 100 Mbit/s
Launcher: Frontier Launcher

Feedback: I play in VR with Oculus Rift. I couldn't observe any improvement with the 3 hotfix. The game stutters a lot inside the orbital starports (only arriving, departing is fine) and on planet surface. Worst performance is flying above the planetary settlements. No issue on foot/legs. No issue in the maps.

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Max-P
RAM: 16 GB 3200Mhz
Internet Connection: 130 Mbit/s down, 70 Mbit/s up

Feedback: Without looking at the FPS counter, I did not observe any performance improvements throughout the hotfixes. I run high settings on 1080p, I generally get 40-50 FPS on foot in stations and 30-40 on surface settlements, 50 or more if the settlement is empty and unpowered. Can drop down to 20+ or lower in active combat zones when a lot is happening.

Solo mode, not VR, the other thing running in the background is chrome with a couple of tabs open, no third party shaders, graphics setting is standard high.

Last edited:
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: nVidia GTX 3080
Internet Connection: 80 Mbit/s
Launcher: Steam

VR Quest 2, 45-90 in space, 30-45 in space station, 22-30 on legs in space station, 22-30 on foot in settlements. Last I checked when in space at 45fps GPU and CPU usage were 54%, looking up into the black FPS rise to 90 and GPU / CPU usage rises to 70-90%.

In 2d mode, 3440 x 1440, ultra FPS 100 in most places, occasional dip into the 80s in stations if it's busy, low 40's in ground CZ's.

CPU: Ryzen 3900x
GPU: Nvidia 1080ti
RAM: 64GB of ddr4 3200 mhz
Internet: Fast lol
Monitor 144hz 1440p Asus ROG
Windows 10, played on Steam

Performance on average:

Space - 144 fps, butter smooth

Stations - 60-100, with dips as low as 40 on occasion.

Planetary bases/open areas - 50-80, with dips again as low as 40... fire in bases is a killer for me here.

Overall thoughts: performance is perfectly playable but not ideal. I have been enjoying my time in Odyssey so far and hope to continue to do so.

I hope more optimizations come, as I'd love to hit 144 fps on planet bases and staring at fires lol

Or maybe send them an email with the information they are asking for, like it says in this thread?
Having a lot of quantitative information in one place - information which individually may not warrant an email - may still be useful.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Radeon Vega 56 8GB
RAM: 32GB @ 2666MHz
Internet Connection: 30Mbit down, 7Mbit up

Feedback: Performance seems to have improved somewhat with the first couple of hotfixes, though I can't be certain it isn't just a coincidence. Performance is also very inconsistent, dropping well below 30 seemingly at random, not specifically tied to one location as relogging in a problem area improves my framerate until I go elsewhere. Strangely, setting my supersampling to 0.75x has kept my framerate at a nearly consistent 60, but dropping my resolution has no effect.

Having a lot of quantitative information in one place - information which individually may not warrant an email - may still be useful.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Radeon Vega 56 8GB
RAM: 32GB @ 2666MHz
Internet Connection: 30Mbit down, 7Mbit up

Feedback: Performance seems to have improved somewhat with the first couple of hotfixes, though I can't be certain it isn't just a coincidence. Performance is also very inconsistent, dropping well below 30 seemingly at random, not specifically tied to one location as relogging in a problem area improves my framerate until I go elsewhere. Strangely, setting my supersampling to 0.75x has kept my framerate at a nearly consistent 60, but dropping my resolution has no effect.
I mean, FDev literally want you to send them an email, attaching your DXdiag results and Elite Graphics Config in addition to the basics.

But OK, carry on :)

Hopeless. The fps issue related to crew and the chat box (fps drop down to 30 fps) was in Horizons from the beginning. Has never been fixed.

CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI
Internet Connection: 150 Mbit/s

Feedback: Haven't had any issues at all. Terrain takes a little bit to load, but I haven't adjusted that setting. I have all settings set to High. The only time I ever experienced a FPS lag was in a Agricultural CZ, building was on fire, and we were all in the atrium or whatever science lab, bullets flying, shotguns going off, and grenades. Got a small hit for a second or two, then it was fine.

CPU: i7-8700k
GPU: nVidia GeForce RTX 2070 super gaming x
RAM: 32 GB
Internet Connection: 50 Mbit/s

The game suffers even more from an old Horizons bug when you have a crew on board. Just land on planet, disembark by foot, return into ship, launch from planet and your fps might have dropped dramaticaly. There are other circumstances when this happens. You can temporary "solve" this issue and get back your full fps by opening the chat box and closing it again. When opening the chat box you will see that it is messed up completely and you can not even use it properly. Damn its an old bug and now with Odyssey it falls onto Frontiers feet for not having fixed that before -.-

They know its missing occlusion culling. It was just due to time its not in yet, it will come with time. Just as the light issue is due to HDR.

CPU: i7 6700K
GPU: RTX 3080 FE
RAM: 16GB
Internet Connection 1000Mbit/s
Launcher: Steam and Frontier Launcher

1440p and some 4K, mostly getting 50-60FPS, capped at 60. But CPU is fully loaded with draw calls on 2 cores, GPU tends to be less than 100% load but still quite high.

There is at least value in sharing what we have and what we have seen so far... no reason we can't also send an email for those having heavy issues.

CPU: i5-9600k 1 level of over-clock
GPU: NVidia RTX 2080
RAM: 64GB
INet: 1Gb/s fiber
Launcher: Steam/Frontier
Monitor: Sony 65" 4K TV (60HZ refresh over HDMI)
Graphics set to High/Ultra but SS is set to 0.75 which is about as low as I can go without starting to notice the loss of detail. At 1X the frame rates are depressed about 10FPS overall except in space flight.

Overall I have locked the frame rate to 60Hz to prevent screen tearing which I can not stand. Most of my play is giving me that 60FPS. Exceptions are busy organic areas on planets, dipping to 50's. Dust clouds when inside them again dipping to 50's. External views of the SRV also drop to near 40FPS. Looking at some biological types drops into the 30's. Outposts stay at around 50-60 and starports run between 40-60 depending where I'm looking. Terminals seem to tank the frames into the 30's.

CPU: i7 7800x 6/12 core @ 4ghz
Chipset, MB: x299 Asrock Taichi
GPU: 3080 FTW3
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Win10
32" 4k BenQ screen
350Mbit ISP
Steam
Odyssey settings: 4k, ultra all, locked to 60hz or unlocked for testing
Im a 30 year net/sysadmin.

I see FPS anywhere from 30 to 90(vsync off), with stuttering and wildly varying performance inside stations or structures. In space Im at 60, 90fps, depending on where I lock it.

Guys - they don't even have basic optimizations in the engine (occlusion culling, etc). This has nothing to do with your hardware.

Have you not seen the 2 detailed threads with actual gfx professionals explaining what is wrong?

Guys - they don't even have basic optimizations in the engine (occlusion culling, etc). This has nothing to do with your hardware.

Have you not seen the 2 detailed threads with actual gfx professionals explaining what is wrong?
Even without basic optimisations such as culling, the performance decrease should still remain relatively uniform across the hardware tiers as it is just rendering more than it needs to (with the exception of Vram bound cases). However that doesn't always seem to be the case.

Regardless, feedback with specs and performance reports attached should still provide some information that the devs can use to approximate the performance currently experienced by players. With PC hardware, there are literally thousands of different combinations, a little more data won't hurt.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: Nvidia 1080
RAM: 16GB DDR4
1440p@144Hz
settings: Low (but not really different on higher settings)
Connection: 1GBit/s down, 50Mbit/s up

Performance: in space about 60fps, normal on foot: 30-50fps, On foot CZ: 10-25fps
Also insides of starport don't load early enough and look glitched on aproach

I7 5930K, GTX 980, 32gb (Similar setup to David B. Old build)
1080p
Settings : ultra, trying high did not help.

I was getting 30-60 on foot in stations in patch 2. Patch 3 - now dropped significantly to more close to 20-40.

Planets dropped as well since patch 3 ti 17-30 in some areas on foot.

Patch 2 had the best performance for me.

Patch note 3 said they allow more system memory for low vram gpu (me with 4gb) which I think hurt more than it did good.

Last edited:
Even without basic optimisations such as culling, the performance decrease should still remain relatively uniform across the hardware tiers as it is just rendering more than it needs to (with the exception of Vram bound cases). However that doesn't always seem to be the case.

Regardless, feedback with specs and performance reports attached should still provide some information that the devs can use to approximate the performance currently experienced by players. With PC hardware, there are literally thousands of different combinations, a little more data won't hurt.
Several of the issues literally have nothing to do with hardware. And others can actually be exacerbated by having faster hardware.

Top Bottom