Pics the Devs need to look at

Lilly pads

DlOeMb4.png

Not sure if this helps, or not, but I noticed after a ground conflict zone battle, I called for an APEX taxi. As I was running towards it, the lily pads started showing up. I cant recall if it was during the APEX's descent or if it had already touched down. As I neared the APEX they went away. I've seen them in other places and at other times, but something was definitely linked to the APEX shuttle landing. Maybe any ships landing or flying low causes some LOD thing to happen.

Yes, it's the dark side. Thus the atmosphere should be at worst dimming the star field, but typically leading light around the planet. Here, have a solar eclipse seen from the moon (belatedly noticed this is a composite illustration, need to find more raw images). Note that this has a brighter Earth than most planets would be in Elite due to the full moon's reflection, but the point is, that atmosphere is bright.

Himawari-8 night side images barely show a sliver of light (e.g. at the north side in fd__b03_1430), but those are taken from quite close to the planet. NASA's New Full-hemisphere Views of Earth at Night from 2017 show illumination on opposite sides.

I think looking at true imagery more leads to the question of not only why that is dark, but how it can be so very thick. It certainly wouldn't be in a "tenuous" atmosphere!
It's bright where the atmosphere is still in sunlight, which you get around a bit of your picture (the sun's not directly behind the planet in yours, so the atmosphere on the opposite side to the bright one won't be illuminated at all). The unilluminated part of the atmosphere should be dark, but with a tenuous atmosphere nowhere near as dark against the (over bright) background.

Any atmosphere, even a thin one, can darken perceptibly - it's how some even quite thin atmospheres were first discovered, as a star passing behind the planet or moon as seen from Earth will dim before vanishing if there is an atmosphere instead of vanishing suddenly if there isn't one. But the example you've given looks pretty excessive.

It's bright where the atmosphere is still in sunlight, which you get around a bit of your picture (the sun's not directly behind the planet in yours, so the atmosphere on the opposite side to the bright one won't be illuminated at all). The unilluminated part of the atmosphere should be dark, but with a tenuous atmosphere nowhere near as dark against the (over bright) background.

Any atmosphere, even a thin one, can darken perceptibly - it's how some even quite thin atmospheres were first discovered, as a star passing behind the planet or moon as seen from Earth will dim before vanishing if there is an atmosphere instead of vanishing suddenly if there isn't one. But the example you've given looks pretty excessive.
I agree. The illustration was very exaggerated, as they tend to be. It's not the same thing as e.g. an annular eclipse. However, there's a big distinction between darkening perceptibly and forming a black band. The darkening we see looking through the atmosphere from outside should never exceed 4x the darkening we'd see standing within it, and in the sample picture we have from the game, there's visible illumination of the ground around the entire perimeter. The black band suggests that wouldn't have made it to our eyes.

EDO appears to do fog illumination by incorrectly adding and subtracting to a non-linear colour space, when it should be doing alpha blending and perhaps blurring. One of the many effects of this is that fog can brighten, revealing detail instead of reducing contrast. It's just one of many strange miscalculations.

I suppose one way to roughly explain the black band would be if we assume the magic space glass letting us see things with drastically different light emissions is blurred, and applies a level appropriate for the planet shine nearest to the planet, before reaching a level displaying the nebula further out. I still want this game to support HDR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom