Planet Zoo - November Catch Up

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hello Zookeepers!

Welcome to our November Monthly Catch Up, which we use to take a look back at the month with you to help make sure we're all up-to-date on the latest!

News:

PZ_1.4_UnderwaterFeeder.jpg

Have you seen our big announcement today? We have announced free Update 1.4, and you can read all about it on the forums! Update 1.4 includes the Animal Talks, which we recently explained in a separate forum post, but it also includes:
  • Water Temperature Regulator
  • Underwater Feeder
  • Zoo Management Transport Rides
  • Challenge Scenario Multi-Select for Franchise Mode Animal Storage
  • Added Creativity - new, free scenery assets!
Check out our free Update 1.4 forum post here! We're so excited for you all to get your hands on the update on 8 December! Not long to go now!

PZ_Happy_Anniversary_960x540.jpg

This month, we also celebrated our 1st Anniversary with you! We can't believe it has been a year already! Thank you all for joining us on this adventure! To celebrate, we had a special day on social where we shared facts and hosted giveaways. Not only that, but we also revisited three Avatar Costumes: African Elephant, Rhino and Orangutan. These costumes are now in everybody's inventory! Check out this infographic we shared on some awesome statistics the PlanZo Fam got up to over the last year:

PZ_Infographic_2020_1920x1080.jpg

Some of the Planet Zoo team also took part in a celebratory Developer Journal, where they shared a few words on what Planet Zoo, and the PlanZo Fam, have meant to them over the last year. Here are a couple for you to read, but make sure you check out the Journal to read them all:

"My favourite memory has been seeing all the community feedback come in, especially when we first launched. Thank you for believing in us, and for keeping the Planet Zoo community alive. I've been thankful for our understanding and awesome Producers, (shoutout to Steve!)." - UI Programmer Jay Chua.

"I enjoyed bringing the Polar Bear to life with its incredible vocalisations! It's great seeing everything you, the community, create, and your excitement for the animals. It makes what we do worth it." - Senior Sound Designer Benjamin Scholey.

"For me, it was around the launch when I saw the Hyena, one of the animals under me, receive so much attention. There was so much to wrangle with them - the thing with working on animals is you learn so much about them you never realised. The Hyena was a research project and a half in that regard, but getting it right made a lot of people happy, so I'd say it was worth it. I hope everyone can enjoy the love we've put into the animals that are in the game." - 3D Animator Kai Cheng.

We didn't want to celebrate our Anniversary without hosting a competition with you all, so that you can get your hands on some awesome prizes. Why don't you enter our Habitually Awesome competition? This competition has no task you must meet, no theme you need to use. Not at all! For our Habitually Awesome competition, we would just like to see a habitat you've been proud of creating. One that has made you sit back contentedly once you added in the final touches. The deadline is coming up fast - all entries must be submitted by Friday, 4 December 2020! Read the competition details here!

PZ_National_Bison_Day_960x540.png

On the 7th November, we also celebrated National Bison Day! It's a day dedicated to the historical, cultural, ecological and economic contribution of the American Bison to the United States! Did you know, the American Bison is the National Mammal of the USA?

Community Creations:

Plushies_KeyboardKeeper.jpg

Check out these incredible Plushies by Keyboard Keeper. A perfect addition to any good zoo's gift shop!

WisteriaTunnel_LeoMuseum.jpg

We absolutely love the Wisteria Tunnel by LeoMuseum! Add some enchantment to your Zoo and wow your visitors between habitats!

PixelZoo_PixelWess.jpg

We're blown away by the awe-inspiring Pixel Zoo by PixelWess89! With over 40 animals and fully themed habitats, you'll want to check this one out!

SaltwaterCroc_Zekin.jpg

This fantastic indoor Saltwater Crocodile habitat Crocodile Creek by Zekin is a must! A beautiful modern building for some incredible animals.​

Creator Spotlight:

We've really been enjoying SimplySavannah's new Australian project in Planet Zoo, the Hakea Wildlife Park! Check out the first video, and the playlist, in the link above!​

Let's finish the Catch Up with our recently shared Zoopedia Facts:
  • Boa Constrictors will shed their skin every 2 to 4 months as they continue to grow throughout their life!
  • Hippopotamus sleep underwater, and will subconsciously visit the surface every 3 to 5 minutes to breathe during sleep.
  • Wolves harmonise when howling in a group to create the auditory illusion of a larger pack.
That's all for our November Monthly Catch Up! See you again next month!

Kind of amusing that the most popular biome is temperate. If we assume that most players are in Europe and North America, then that makes perfect sense, but I'd never considered it before. Most people probably like to build in places they know. I'd love to build in New Zealand but without the appropriate fauna, flora, and theming, it just doesn't have the same magic to it (all I need is a kiwi, a tuatara, some of our beautiful native trees, and maybe some ponga logs for decor, and I'll be a happy camper!).

Top Bottom