Powerplay Planetside Powerplay - or not

First, lets just post this as this is what the devs are considering changing in the near future for powerplay
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169489

(side note: I'm not sure why FD is ignoring communications solutions that have existed for decades supporting thousands of simultaneous users on crap hardware (hint: IRC) that can be stripped down to do _only_ what is needed. Comms should be a non-issue - yet still is. It's not like it needs to reflect who you can see in any given instance, no reason to tie it to the same weird half p2p networking model the game uses). Rant over.

So I'm not sure how planetside activity plays into powerplay and how (if it is implemented) this would be balanced against players who dont have Horizons.

I do think it should have an impact on powerplay, simply to keep players from dropping out of participating in powerplay - since for many, all your time in the game has to, in some way, benefit your powerplay activities. Asking people not to spend, what is usually very limited, time exploring planets to continue for the 26th week to repeat the same activities in space they need to do every week isn't going to fly for many users.

If it is allowed, it could potentially be very impacting on the logistics of fortification / prepping etc. Certain systems that had no large docking ports may now suddenly have some planetside. Certain systems that had distant stations may now have some planetside ones much closer. Making certain problem-child systems much more manageable (even with the time of descent onto a planet, it beats 2-3 trips in a python).

What would surface expansion zones look like for those powers that expand by destroying ships? A bunch of SRV's roaming an area? low altitude dog-fighting in space ships? large scale SRV battles sound like too much fun.

Anyway this is an open question to all. What aspects, if any, of powerplay should be implemented planet-side and in what way can it be differentiated from the way things work out in space?

As much as I would absolutely LOVE to see power play on planets, I don't think it will happen. The only reason for this being that Powerplay is available for Elite Dangerous (1.5) players as well as Horizons. Therefore, having power play content that would only be available to Horizons players would exclude those that do not own Horizons. FDEV probably wouldn't jeopardize this whole "you don't have to buy the expansions to continue playing a 'AAA' game" model...

Therefore...

EVERYONE SHOULD BUY HORIZONS!!! :)

Top Bottom