Platform Floats just don't work?

I was trying to tweak a habitat to get a platform float to work but got kinda frustrated and made a little test. This lake is 8m deep. The brick step thingie is made out of 4x4 walls on the grid. As you can see the pond is pretty big. It is evenly deep. How can this platform float need a greater deep water area? Am I missing something? Have they ever worked? I know the red bars sticking out on all 4 sides are a guide to how much room it needs but I clearly have way more room available than they represent. How do I get this to work?
Platform-Gloat.jpg

I am not sure why it is not working on your end, but I just placed a few in habitats and they worked. Writing this I wonder if the answer isn't actually that you need to place it in water in a habitat ? As opposed to any body of water ?

I am not sure why it is not working on your end, but I just placed a few in habitats and they worked. Writing this I wonder if the answer isn't actually that you need to place it in water in a habitat ? As opposed to any body of water ?

hmmm I hadn't thought of that. I didn't have barriers up yet in the habitat I was building or in the test I made. I will try that later. If this is the case it would be nice if instead of the error saying there isn't enough deep water it said an enclosed habitat is required.

Do your animals use the platform floats?

Writing this I wonder if the answer isn't actually that you need to place it in water in a habitat ? As opposed to any body of water ?
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Even shelter temperatures are generated only when animals are placed in a habitat. In a new habitat without animals, you get ambient temperature in shelter, when viewing the environment tab from the habitat info panel.

You were right! After completing the habitat and adding animals I can use a platform float - and my African Penguins are using it too! I'm happy but I just can't believe how much time I wasted trying to figure this out - if there had just been something in the game to tell me that I can't position it until I have the habitat completed. Kinda frustrating.

When there is enough room all the red bars that stick out that you can see in my pic turn from red to blue.

Top Bottom