Platypus

Ok. So I want to start by saying that the new wetlands pack is AMAZING the animals all look great and I’m looking forward to exploring everything. But……….

the platypus, whilst it looks great and I’m really grateful that we finally get a new Australian animal has two big faults. One annoying (eyes should be closed under water), the other really, really frustrating. Specifically, it’s land requirement (and, to a lesser extent it’s water requirement) is much, much, much too large. I have seen platypus in the wild 40+ times, in multiple zoos and I’ve never seen one out of the water. In zoos they are given a couple of feet of land to haul out onto but they really, really don’t come out of the water to walk around unless they really need to. In game, though, their land requirement is very large - double the size of their water requirement, which is too large (though less so). The platypus land requirement really should be scaled back a LOT. Guides for keeping them in captivity recommend less than 1m^2 of land area. In-game, I understand it being bigger (even a lot bigger) but, as it currently stands, a platypus enclosure in-game is probably something near to 100 x larger than any real world zoo would have and the land area is even more than that (literally hundreds times as big as any zoo I’ve seen them in). I really don’t like complaining on release day, especially when the pack is so great (the animals really do look fantastic!) but this is a real issue IMO.

Edit: see the Platypus husbandry manual

Edit 2:
PZ land requirement: 180m^2
PZ water requirement: 90 m^2
Total (before enrichment, foliage etc.): 270 m^2

Care manual land requirement: < 1 m^2
Care manual water requirement: 6 m^2
Total: < 7 m^2

Land requirement difference: > 180 times recommended.
Water requirement difference: 15 times recommended.
Total: ~40 times recommended

Edit: slight error with my calculations since they need an off-display area too. Double the recommended land and water areas. This still means that the land area in game is ~90 times too large and the water area is ~7.5 times more than necessary though.

Last edited:
I haven't bought the DLC yet so I can't join the discussion with thoughts of my own, but let me derail it just for a moment:

You've seen platypus in wild 40+ times? I thought they were like super elusive and rare, some guy from down under even told me that many Aussies went their whole lives without seeing one. Am I mistaken?

P.S. Also does Platypus in game look too big or is it just me?

I have seen platypus in the wild 40+ times, in multiple zoos and I’ve never seen one out of the water. .
What zoo's exactly? I'd like some habitat references... the only one i'm aware of out of Australia is The San Diego Zoo... But for a small animal that is mainly aquatic, that does seem a bit much for land requirements. Thank god for sand box.

This is a problem with the smallest habitat animals in general. I've seen multiple Cuvier's dwarf caimans in zoos--beautiful animals, by the way--and they're in much smaller enclosures than the PZ minimum.

It's better for more social animals like the meerkat and prairie dog because at the larger sizes help justify getting them in large groups.

You've seen platypus in wild 40+ times? I thought they were like super elusive and rare, some guy from down under even told me that many Aussies went their whole lives without seeing one. Am I mistaken?

P.S. Also does Platypus in game look too big or is it just me?

Tassie is a pretty amazing place to see wildlife.

Edit: will check but it didn’t seem too far off to me, although I had no guests etc. nearby for scale.

Last edited:
What zoo's exactly? I'd like some habitat references... the only one i'm aware of out of Australia is The San Diego Zoo... But for a small animal that is mainly aquatic, that does seem a bit much for land requirements. Thank god for sand box.
Both in Australia (Victoria): Melbourne Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary but the care sheet I linked to in the OP has a list of Australian zoos that keep them. I would post reference picks but they’re kept inside, in the dark and the display area is so much smaller than what’s in game that they won’t help much…. That’s kinda my issue with the requirements

Last edited:
Can confirm that platypus require much less land than water, they are a primarily water species. At koala pine sanctuary both platypus were non stop swimming/foraging for the 20 mins I was watching them, one went into its burrow for about 5 seconds before coming back out to swim, and they never tried to go on land. Both enclosures were in a dark room.

I’m working on a ‘platypus trail’ with views over a river with ‘wild’ platypus… only way I could see to make it work. Am planning a realistic indoor one after that but no idea how to make it at all realistic.
I suppose it's a bit like the climbing situation with the koalas and red pandas and such - realistically they'd rarely if ever come to the ground, even in a zoo, but in the game this simply isn't possible. The platypus was popular enough that I guess they had to compromise.

I mean, they obviously screwed up somewhere because the requirements are absurd even by PZ standards.

I know the requirements are ridiculous but ... I wonder if part of the reason is that the hitboxes in PZ are stupid huge. So, they need to make sure that people don't create (more realistic) habitats that then have problems due to the hitbox size. Has anyone had a platypus in their game long enough to get a sense of their hitbox?

I know the requirements are ridiculous but ... I wonder if part of the reason is that the hitboxes in PZ are stupid huge. So, they need to make sure that people don't create (more realistic) habitats that then have problems due to the hitbox size. Has anyone had a platypus in their game long enough to get a sense of their hitbox?
The area calculation is made after hit boxes have been accounted for (a totally empty, flat habitat will have less space than expected… For example, a 4x10 habitat will not have 40 m^2 (it’s size will depend on species’ hitbox).

I'd be curious to see someone attempt a realistic platypus habitat in the game in Sandbox.
I am going to have a go this weekend. I am struggling with insomnia at the moment and try to avoid too much creativity at night as it just makes it worse but I’ve been thinking how it could work and will try it out in the morning.

Ok, here is a very rough experiment in how a relatively realistic platypus enclosure might work. It needs some tweaking and a bit more finesse in its implementation but if you put a roof over it and walls around it I think it could work. The panels could be rocks, wood, a picture background or walls.

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2022.04.16 - 11.08.03.32.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2022.04.16 - 11.11.35.17.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2022.04.16 - 11.11.09.51.png

Ok, here is a very rough experiment in how a relatively realistic platypus enclosure might work. It needs some tweaking and a bit more finesse in its implementation but if you put a roof over it and walls around it I think it could work. The panels could be rocks, wood, a picture background or walls.

View attachment 302452
View attachment 302453
View attachment 302454
Looks as good as seems possible - I’ve sort of tried something similar for dwarf caimans. It’s not realistic (in the sense that there’s no enclosures in zoos that large as far as I know) and it’s annoying having to have so much dead space….

Back
Top Bottom