Player faction and absence of CZ massacre missions

Hi there! I believe this board will be most appropriate for the issue I'm wondering about.

For quite some time now player faction I'm part of (not Canonn, another one) does not populate mission boards with combat zone related massacre missions. No matter which other faction we are at war with, in either of the systems under our control, regardless if it's a war or a civil war; there are simply no missions on offer ever.

Mission board flipping / changing game mode does not influence it either. All other warring faction generates their CZ missions. As a result, CMDRs outside our faction are more likely to support the opposing faction to our war effort, while our CMDRs are missing the additional credit rewards.

What's weird is that the massacre missions for our faction did appear prior to patch 2.3, I believe.

Our player in game faction is of "Dictatorship" type, if that matters at all.

We have a new influx of fresh CMDRs in the guild now that are interested in working on our BGS, but are a bit frustrated with this, so if someone encountered something like this it would be great.

Is there someone @ FDEV we should contact regarding the issue?

*damn title typo :p

Last edited:
You could always raise a bug for it for some official response, as this was supposedly resolved recently (in the 2.3 patch is my guess)
There was some discussion about it being related to a hidden 'wealth' bucket, so you might benefit from a boom, or pending boom between conflicts

Yeah we've noticed there's a particular lack of massacre missions for certain government types. It's not 100% consistent, but I mean we cover several hundred systems (we're a Power's primary BGS team) and there's a whole lot of correlation.
For example if a patronage and corporate faction go to war, dollars to donuts the corporate will give out vastly more massacre missions.
I suspect that this applies to the whole gov't type category - patronage, feudal, prison colony and dictatorship are a category as they have elections with each other and no one else. If your faction is one of those, well, all I can say is we see the same regularly in easily a dozen wars a week.

Afaik FDev has given no (recent) response on the subject; it's been brought up several times.

Edit: initially there was some thought along the lines of what Dommaraa if saying, but the Wealth hidden stat that we know through FDev is a system stat. It affects every faction present. If there's hidden stats of that sort for factions (i.e. not state buckets), well they're truly invisible and to the best of my knowledge have never been mentioned. It's proven a painful thing to test with mission boards only partially and semi-randomly displaying all the missions that might be available, and the difficulty in making sure the test system is traffic free for the time this test would take.

"Worth a try" ideas were along the lines of:
Actions that actually give a faction credits (charity, buying commodities) might translate to better mission rewards & thus higher paying types of missions available. Rewards/credits paid out might then reduce that over time.
That'd be neat, because it seems buying commodities has no (other) effect whatsoever on the market owner that we've ever seen in testing.
Conjecture of course. Without the means to really isolate and test this particular theory we're largely in the dark on this subject.

Last edited:

_trent_

Volunteer Moderator
What we've found is that the wrong type of massacre missions are spawning during wars. Instead of getting massacre missions for the CZs we get a large increase in massacre missions for pirates in RES sites instead.

We've put in a ticket for this already and have been told it is being investigated.

I opened a ticket on this instead of a bug report. The answer I got was the 2nd time I doubted that FD Support has a clue. They claimed that one massacre mission was generated for the player faction during the course of the war, so that shows it's working properly. Even though the NPC faction had a list as long as your arm.

They're great at returning stuff that you lost due to a bug or something, but I'm not convinced that they know much about the game itself. That, or they just don't want to put the effort into it.

Its not just Player Factions.

From my experience any Minor Faction that has expanded beyond a few systems has a frustratingly lower chance of spawning MMs anywhere.

Sometimes I get lucky, but its not frequent for me when I am talking groups that increase in size.

This one got raised on the forums here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Missions-for-War-State?p=6211132#post6211132

QA- Mitch advised to report the issue if it continued after the next major update (whatever that means).

If you look at my post linked which I linked, it's;
- not just massacre missions; and
- not just player factions

Basically, one or even both factions in a War conflict will (almost^) never generate war-state missions. These are, for example
- Courier Job Available/government variant (instead of Strategic Data Transfer )
- Planetary Surface Scan (instead of Wartime Surface Scan)
- Assassinate pirate lord (instead of Assassinate deserters)
- Massacre <pirate faction> ships (instead of massacre <wartime faction> ships)
etc.

This doesn't seem to happen with Civil War, and *may* happen with Elections.

^ I didn't try to replicate this due to the difficulties involved, but my tests usually strattled a tick. What I sometimes observed was that the "first" mission board (for some meaning of first) after the tick would generate wartime missions, but if I relogged or went to a different station/system or came back, they'd be replaced with non-wartime missions, and would never generate them again until at least after the next tick. It's as if the BGS would "forget" it's in a war state. Treat this observation lightly though, I never tried to replicate it.

The wider point that missions are influence ineffective during wartime shouldn't be ignored. (Notwithstanding the fact that such missions can boost the transaction count from randoms*).

* we should have a term for these BGS griefers :)

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
The wider point that missions are influence ineffective during wartime shouldn't be ignored. (Notwithstanding the fact that such missions can boost the transaction count from randoms*).

* we should have a term for these BGS griefers :)

We call them unknown inputs!

. . . we should have a term for these BGS griefers :)

Do you mean those uncouth itinerants who blindly barge into your carefully nurtured corner of space, throwing their weight around as they selfishly, carelessly and thoughtlessly ride roughshod over your exquisitely prepared long-term plans, while they casually express their uncultured indifference to the finer elements of the game as they shoot anything that gets in their way, taking the best-paying missions - irrespective of source - in order to compensate for inadequate genitalia and uncertain parentage by grabbing as much loot as possible?

Isn't calling them 'griefers' a little harsh?

Do you mean those uncouth itinerants who blindly barge into your carefully nurtured corner of space, throwing their weight around as they selfishly, carelessly and thoughtlessly ride roughshod over your exquisitely prepared long-term plans, while they casually express their uncultured indifference to the finer elements of the game as they shoot anything that gets in their way, taking the best-paying missions - irrespective of source - in order to compensate for inadequate genitalia and uncertain parentage by grabbing as much loot as possible?

Isn't calling them 'griefers' a little harsh?

I call them Dime Bar Eaters

[video=youtube;bqeGxMgVOHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqeGxMgVOHI[/video]

I can confirm that Massacre Missions during armed conflicts have been very scarce if non-existant. The following are some observations that were made.

1.) Massacre missions seem plentiful for both sides if the % is close together in the System where the conflict takes place.

At the beginning there are almost equal amounts given out, but depending on how well one side is doing and how big the gap gets you can bet that the winning MF loses all sight of MMs while the losing side spawns them like crazy. Which is in a way understandable since the dominating MF does not need external help (anymore), while the losing ones needs to get as much support as possible.

2.) Massacre missions spawn more in Systems where the conflict does not take place and who are in control by one of the MF in conflict.

Being as close as possible to the System where the fighting takes place seems to be advantageous to get those.

Top Bottom