General / Off-Topic Plug n Play

Just reading a thread about graphics cards and such a little further down the page. Didn’t want to risk thread hijacking by asking this there..

It’s all Greek to me. Well, mostly Greek. All this talk about wibble wooflers and dooberry flanges, just goes right over my head and yet the truth is I’ve been a PC Gamer since my mid twenties and that’s... well, it’s a long time and how rude of you to bring it up!

The last couple of years though I’ve been a console gamer, through a mixture of my PC either being too far out of date to play the games I really want to. With no cash to upgrade. Or as has currently been the case for the last six months, broken, busted, kaput, , with no cash to fix.

It’s a sad state of affairs I tells ya!

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want to be without my consoles. My Playstations 1 through 4 and my 360 have taken me to wonderful places I’d never have been able to play otherwise. They’re great and I’ve never been able to understand the mentality of having to be in one camp or the other. I either have to be a console peasant, or a member of the pc master race. When the best way is clearly to enjoy the best of both worlds!

Fact is though, even in my best PC days I have never had a cutting edge PC. Limited funds always meant compromise in the machine and consequently in game options later on in order to get things running smoothly. But... next year I “might” and it really is only “might” at this point. Have a once in my lifetime opportunity to throw a couple of grand at a new gaming machine and for the first time ever (I hope) have no compromise.

Looking around though, many of the companies which build the PC’s for you, have horror stories on their customer satisfaction forums. I know only the bad ones are there because the happy endings are less likely to write in about it. But still it’s scary. “If” I get that opportunity, I’ll not get a second chance at that purchase. And before the well meaning among you suggest building my own. I refer you to paragraph two. I can barely build a ham sandwich, let alone a gaming pc and I could never risk that money on a potential botch job.

So with that said.. if I get that chance, does anyone have an idea as to the best place to go, best thing to do?

And now if you’ll excuse me. Somebody said ham sandwich. Haaaaam Saaaandwich...

Badger Out.

If you really REALLY need to buy a pre-built PC, go by the word of mouth. I bet there is a small shop around you somewhere that builds PCs and somebody somewhere around you has a good experience with them. That's the only option.
Don't every buy PCs in market chains and don't ever EVER buy PCs online.

That being said (and yes, I've read your post) I'd still recommend building your own PC. :p
You may need help with the components (i.e. the hardest part of the PC build is to buy everything and not forget some cables or an obscure component that you're going to miss) but the building itself is really no harder than building a LEGO.

Find Gamers Nexus or Paul's Hardware on Youtube and watch a couple of videos about the building and current components and you're golden. And save money.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The problem with some pre-built PCs is that, to make a profit, some of the less "visible" parts are skimped on, e.g. the power supply.

.... a failed PSU can take out a whole PC - it's not a component I'd be prepared to save money on.

As Chris said - it's like Lego - but electrical / electronic.

I'd suggest, nearer the time, re-posting and seeking out advice as to particular components (as well as ensuring that the "shopping list" is complete).

The problem with some pre-built PCs is that, to make a profit, some of the less "visible" parts are skimped on, e.g. the power supply.
Yeah, that is the main problem.
the cheapest PSU, slow memory, crappy CPU cooler, GPU of the advertised type but from the most dubious OEM,...

Plus the chance that the monkey at the shop who has to build a dozen of them a day simply overlooked something.
Pre-built PCs are shady as hell.

It is actually pretty easy to build your own PC and for the same amount of money you would pay someone you will get a lot higher end components.

Check out a few websites, read some threads. The one website I go to all the time is overclock.net
https://www.overclock.net/

You can also watch youtube videos on how to build a PC.

Having someone start their first PC building adventure with a large chunk of cash intended to get them a working high-end system is kinda like telling people to wait until they have a fully Engineered corvette before they attempt PvP (in ED). IMO, it's better to learn in something more basic, more disposable, that you aren't going to be using for serious work (or serious play). Learning the basics is not difficult, but you'll learn more faster if you aren't afraid of breaking things because they cost so much or because it's your only/best system.

A solid pre-built system may not be such a bad idea for the OP...whatever other systems are available can then become test beds and experimental subjects. When the OP is confident with working on them, upgrading the good one, or building a new one, won't be so intimidating.

Anyway, OEM/boutique systems are all over the place in quality and value. Going to need to do some research before selecting one and the first step is knowing roughly where you are and what's available in your area.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAvB10Ylk2c

Or even something like this would help you build the PC on your own. :)

Seems interesting, but even with the fair bit of detail it has, it's more like an interactive textbook than hands-on experience.

For example, I haven't seen anything in PC Building Simulator that simulates what happens if you drop a compression fitting on an LGA socket (leave the covers on those sockets until you are ready to seat the CPU, unless you want to spend the next four hours with a jewelers monacle and a toothpick bending dozens of precsion springs back into exacting alignment), or that informs you that almost all new radiators come full of flux and machine oil that will need to be thoroughly flushed and cleaned before use (unless you want gunk and corrosion building up in your waterblocks), let alone the hassels with filling and leak testing.

Seems interesting, but even with the fair bit of detail it has, it's more like an interactive textbook than hands-on experience.

For example, I haven't seen anything in PC Building Simulator that simulates what happens if you drop a compression fitting on an LGA socket (leave the covers on those sockets until you are ready to seat the CPU, unless you want to spend the next four hours with a jewelers monacle and a toothpick bending dozens of precsion springs back into exacting alignment), or that informs you that almost all new radiators come full of flux and machine oil that will need to be thoroughly flushed and cleaned before use (unless you want gunk and corrosion building up in your waterblocks), let alone the hassels with filling and leak testing.
Hahah, yeah.
Well, I don't think anybody should take on watercooling in their FIRST PC build, anyway. :LOL:

But I mean, as a general "What goes where", "What does this cable do" and similar questions, it does cover those. And by and large, there really isn't much that one can do wrong. Putting both memory sticks on one channel, maybe. So what, it'll still work. :)
But most connectors and cables are pretty hard to use wrong.

Not saying it wouldn't be better to have somebody supervise your first build, of course.
There are things and tricks that the experienced PC builder will know that aren't obvious. For example "It will be better to attach the CPU cooler before putting the MB into the case, because this case doesn't have a good cut-out to access and install the cooler backplate", how to route cables, modular PSUs can be a bit confusing when you don't know how many different cables you're going to need, how to install an M.2 drive, how many fans you're going to need and where to put them to maximize the airflow,... this kind of knowledge, however maybe not absolutely critical, can make life much easier. :)

And exactly like sex, if you are a bit too rough in your doings you can still plug stuff where it really shouldn't be supposed to go, so careful with analogies there! 😅

I do this kind of stuff for a living, pretty much all that has being written above is correct, especially the parts where OEMs skimp on less visible stuff, and never ever ever, ever, get a custom-built one online and shipped.

Top Bottom